The Mosby's Medical Dictionary defines wellness as, "a dynamic state of health in which an individual progresses toward a higher level of functioning, achieving an optimum balance between internal and external environments."
Wellness therefore embraces the entire well-being of an individual - encompassing the spiritual, physical, mental, occupational, social, and environmental aspects of life; with Christ at the center.
Aiming for balance does not denote seeking perfection; instead, balanced living is authentic. It means seeking God with all your heart, soul and mind (Matthew 22:37) and allowing that connection to guide and bless you in your everyday life.
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." - Matthew 6:33
When someone has achieved balance in their life, they are not only maintaining good physical health, but they have also discovered the path to living with peace, joy, and purpose.
"Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers." - 3 John 1:2
Here's a simple blueprint for wellness:
1. Figure out who you are in Christ. How does God's Word and principles align with who you are as a person?
2. Pray and Meditate Daily. Our spiritual life is our foundation. Stay in constant commune with God. Speak to Him through prayer and listen through meditation.
3. Observe your family. Be aware of the common issues within your family that are passed down from generation to generation. Pray for the grace and faith needed to patiently work through them.
4. Determine the things and/or people that are currently preventing you from maintaining balance in your life. Seek guidance through prayer and meditation on the best way to handle these situations, and be obedient to what you have been instructed to do.
5. Forgive Daily. If you are holding on to any unforgiveness, now is the time to let it go. Studies show that individuals who hold onto hurt and anger are more prone to chronic illness. Practicing forgiveness can help you to improve your overall health and, the functioning of your immune system.
6. Eat Healthy. Maintain good health by incorporating Whole Foods (not processed) into your diet. Many health experts believe that consuming foods that are close to their natural form, is the best way for improving health and preventing disease.
7. Exercise Regularly. Regular exercise helps to control your weight, combat health conditions, and improve your mood. If you are not a fan of exercise, then experiment with various exercises to find something you enjoy. Otherwise, you will find it difficult to be consistent with your routine.
8. Schedule regular 'me-time.' Carve out at-least 30 minutes per day to indulge in some quality time away from your daily schedule. According to relationship scientist David Sbarra Ph.D., "spending time alone may provide people with an excellent opportunity to reset their ability for self control, and in effect recharge for the demands of daily life."
9. Finally, do not rule out seeking help from others. Don't be afraid to seek the support or guidance you need to help you on your journey.
Starting today, let us make the commitment to do what is necessary to achieve overall wellness - mind, body and spirit!