Skip to main content
  1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Sports
  3. Soccer

Western Sydney get derby win

See also

It was a typically tight derby affair in Sydney on Saturday night but it was the Western half that came out on top as a late goal saw the Wanderers past Sydney FC 1-0.

More Photos

As typical with derbies, it was physical, and fought in the midfield as both sides really struggled to create clear chances.

Western Sydney were probably the better side in the first half, but it seemed like it wasn't going to be their night as they were continually denied by the woodwork.

Eight minutes in Western Sydney had their first chance as Tomi Juric let rip from 25 yards out which Vedran Janjentovic was able to tap on to the post and help Sydney clear.

That was one of the better chances in a half that had little goal mouth action with both sides shutting each other down effectively.

Ten minutes from time Western Sydney came back with more chances with Mark Bridge able to get a shot away that went across the face of goal, scraping the post as it went out.

As the half was ending Western Sydney Wanderers continued to dominate but were again denied by the woodwork as Youssouf Hersi stunned Janjentovic with an effort from well out, which came off the bar and fell to Juric who controlled and shot, only for his effort to come off the bar as well.

That was the last action of the first half, with the half time whistle really killing the hosts' momentum as Sydney were relieved to get in to the sheds.

Sydney FC started the second half well, getting the ball moving forward and finding their strikers, forcing Ante Covic in to plenty of work, with Ranko Despotovic looking the most likely to make something happen.

But soon enough Western Sydney forced their way back in to the match and pushed Sydney back to midfield, pushing the match back to the tight scenario for much of the half.

With time running out both sides started to go for the match, looking for a winner, but that allowed space for the other to exploit as the match finally became an end-to-end affair.

With four minutes to play it was a former Sydney man who hurt his former club as Hersi crossed in for Brendan Santalab, at the far post, who controlled and then snuck the ball under Janjentovic for the winner, sending Pirtek Stadium wild.

For all the latest Australian Football news please subscribe and follow the writer on twitter.