The University of Kentucky's Lexington Arboretum is a wonderful place for family recreation and adventure. It provides an ever-changing show of color, sights and sounds - the view changes constantly. In addition to beautiful gardens to explore, the Arboretum offers workshops and other events for all members of your family. Here are just a few highlights of the Lexington Arboretum:
Map of the Gardens
Brochure of the gardens (PDF)
Walk Across Kentucky Collection (PDF)
What You Can Find Along The Way (PDF)
Arboretum Landscape Features
• Children's Garden
• Stone fences
• Fish pond
• Fountains with sculptures
• Accessible garden demonstration
• Entry walk
• Bird boxes
• Bat boxes
• Habitat gardens
• Natural areas
• Rose Garden
• Fragrance Garden
• Perennial Garden
• Annual Flowers
• Herb Garden
• Vegetable Plots
• Home Fruit and Nut Plantings
• All American Trials and Displays
• Ground Cover display
The Arboretum Woods
• Ecological restoration
• Invasive plant removal
• Historic trees
Garden Etiquette and Rules
We depend on our visitors to help us maintain the beauty of our gardens. Our plant collections, like other museum collections, are very important to us and to our visitors.
For those reasons, we ask that you observe the following rules during your visit:
• We welcome group visits. It is best to schedule your visit in advance through The Arboretum office.
• Do not remove flowers, foliage, insects or plants. Specimen collection is prohibited unless you have special permission from The Arboretum office.
• Use the trash receptacles provided.
• Operate motorized vehicles on the entrance driveway and designated parking area only. Exception: motorized wheel chairs and approved service vehicles.
• The paved walk around The Arboretum is reserved for walkers & joggers. Walkers have the right-of-way. All others shall yield.
• Team sport and training activities are prohibited.
• Keep pets on leashes and remove waste.
• Do not release animals into The Arboretum ecosystem.
• Open fires and grilling are prohibited.
• Alcohol is prohibited.
• Professional photographers must register with The Arboretum Office to obtain rules and regulations.
• Members of the press are encouraged to contact The Arboretum office prior to arrival.
• Plant labels and tags provide important information. Do not move or take labels.
• No dogs allowed in the Home Demonstration Garden or in any other planted bed, including the Rose Garden and the Walk Across Kentucky plantings.