With spring finally here, desserts deserve to go a bit on the lighter side. Dress up a traditional pound cake with a little lime zest and a homemade Key lime glaze for a deliciously springtime dessert worthy of any special occasion.
If you're looking for a delicious, moist pound cake with a light, smooth texture, this is the one. Enjoy!
KEY LIME POUND CAKE
Adapted from Southern Living
Makes 12 servings
2 cups butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 cup fresh Key lime juice
Key Lime Glaze
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour a 10-inch (12-cup) tube pan.
- Beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla, lime zest, and lime juice. Pour batter into prepared tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
- Prepare Key Lime Glaze, and immediately brush over top and sides of cake. Cool completely (about 1 hour).
Key Lime Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together powdered sugar, fresh Key lime juice, and vanilla until smooth. Use immediately.