"Weird Al Yankovic" has made serious headlines this year with a new album and topping the Billboard charts for the first time ever. Now, his hordes of fans want to see him on one of the grandest stages ever. Bleacher Report reported on Aug. 6, 2014, that a fan has started a petition for "Weird Al" Yankovic to play the halftime show of Super Bowl XLIX in 2015.
The petition is quite simple, and is accompanied by a letter that would be signed by all those putting their name to the petition. It merely states:
Have Weird Al Yankovic headline the Super Bowl XLIX Halftime Show.
As of this writing, the petition has already reached over 26,000 signatures, and that is well on it's way to the 35,000 it was seeking. Those wishing to sign can do so right here: "Weird Al Yankovic for Super Bowl 2015 Halftime Show."
There's no guarantee that the NFL would even give this petition a second glance or give a first thought to "Weird Al" Yankovic playing at the Super Bowl. Still, his millions of fans are going to try as hard as humanly possible to get him on that stage.
SPIN put together a dream set list if "Weird Al" Yankovic was to actually be selected and got on stage to play the halftime of Super Bowl XLIX. These are some great choices, but there truly are far too many to get the set down to just seven or eight.
- "Perform This Way" with Lady Gaga
- "Handy" with a new verse by Iggy Azalea
- "Amish Paradise" with Coolio
- "Eat It" with hologram Weird Al
- "Another One Rides the Bus" with Queen as backing band and Adam Lambert as guest vocalist
- "Girls Just Want to Have Lunch" with Cyndi Lauper
- "Tacky" segues into "Happy" with Pharrell as all the special guests come out wearing the rapper's signature hat as a grand group finale
Petition starter Ed Ball may have never thought that he would end up with this many signatures, but perhaps he underestimated the popularity of one "Weird Al" Yankovic.