Jerry Weese blasted a perfect game to complete an 807 series at Treasure Lanes in Port Charlotte, and that performance headlines this week's Examiner.com high-score report from bowling centers in the Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County area.
Competing in the Guys & Dolls Mixed League, the 50-year-old righthander opened with a 280 game, then followed with 227 and 300 to up his current average to 225.
"I started off with no practice, and after rolling the first strike, I pulled the ball (in the second frame) and left a 4-pin before striking out (for 280)," Weese said. "Then, in the second-game transition, I lost my carry, leaving a 4-pin, a 7-pin and a pair of 10-pins."
Weese -- who carrried a 230 yearbook average in the same league last season -- now has a dozen USBC-certified perfect games to his credit, to go along with a half-dozen 800-plus series, topped by an 868 on games of 279, 299 and 290 on Sept. 15, 2008, at Treasure Lanes.
Two players fall one pin shy of perfection after 11 straight strikes
Dave Phillips and Eric Morrison each began a game with 11 consecutive strikes before a final-ball 9-count forced them to settle for scores of 299.
Phillips' big game came in the middle of a 752 series during competition in the Friday Night Mixed League at Englewood Bowl, and he also had a 691 series on Monday night and a 725 series on Tuesday at the same center. Morrison's 299 completed a 698 series in the Garden Mixers League at Treasure Lanes.
Two other area bowlers, Dave Jodoin and Jason Robbins, posted scores of 290. Jodoin's 11-in-a-row performance jump-started a 734 series in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Men's League at Treasure Lanes, where he now carries a 229 average, and Robbins finished with 11 consecutive strikes in the Jeffcoat Blueprinting League at AMF Bradenton Lanes.
Renae Gross topped area female bowlers by blasting a pair of 700-plus series at Treasure Lanes. She fired scores of 232, 217 and 270 for a 719 set in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Ladies League, and she rolled games of 232, 233 and 265 for a 720 in the Tuesday Morning Ladies League. She now carries respective averages of 210 and 212 in those leagues.
Charles White turned in a 187-over-average 769 series on games of 279, 288 and 202 in the Kays-Ponger Uselton Men's League at Treasure Lanes.
Three players rolled far-over-average series in the La Malinche Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes. Robert Oden had a 280-over 759 that included a 287 game, Tommy DeDona Jr. rolled a 171-over 678 capped by a 279 game, and Rick Primrose posted a 163-over 721 that included a 268 game.
In other high-score performances reported from area bowling establishments:
- TREASURE LANES: Mike Aleshire 280-748, John Jones 266, Joe Murray 711, Mike Janosik 705, Dean Winston 703, Gene Bussard 701; Debbie Baylor 266-666, Kim Blue 255-606, Dolores Meyers 246, Renae Gross 244-603 and 236-616, Jennifer Peacock 234-655, Jan Baker 234, Diane Kays 233-628, Sue Bogardus 225-616, Wendy Aldridge 621, Bobbie Jo Weese 609.
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Tim McDonald 278, Rich Corrado 278. Eric Hill 276, Gary Krowka 269-749, Justin Gottfried 268 and 267, Eric Rader 267, Steve Parisi 735, Jim Ulrich 723, Jimmy Kuykendall 707; Ashley Schwartz 255-652, Mickeal Paige 248-610, Jill Harper 235, Melanie Fisher 229, Michelle Gaudette 604.
- AMF BRADENTON: Bob Robak 277, Justin Henderson 269, Tony DeMarco 269, Fred Rayner Sr. 265, Ron Axberg 724, Peter Varga 723, Kelsey Sutton 225.
- SARASOTA LANES: Jerry Gow 289, Bobby Lessig 277-710, Carlton Flonnoy 268-726, Jordan Sepper 268, Steven Baran 738 and 711, Glenn Reed 715, Richard McLaughlin Jr. 706, Steve Albritton 706; Shanti Schrock 234-608, Michelle Nussbaum 233, Heather Ridge 228, Jessica Hendrickson 225-627.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Terry Cline 289-728 and 286-792, Fred Wilson 288-720, Gary Carden 279, Gregg Gross 277-758, Bill Matley 277, Joe Murray 268-752, Kevin Clark 268, Gary Janes 702; Dolores Meyers 253-635, Yvonne Pippin 253-605.
- AMF GULF GATE LANES: John Thompson 280-784, Jesse Hawver 267, Matt Aiken 266, Micheal Scherr 707, Donny Bartlett 704; Cindy Grich 683.
- ENGLEWOOD BOWL: John Stempien 279-717, Jim Siplon 279, Randy Plank 279, Tony Clevenger 268-719, Ed Williams 267-702, Eric Kansman 265-704, Kevin Craycraft 710.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's bowling columns -- free of charge -- by clicking on "Subscribe" near the top of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published].