The first weekend in March was a slow one for movies, as a film that cost $300 million bombed. “Jack the Giant Slayer”, an action adventure based on the tale of “Jack and the Beanstalk”, grossed $28.01 million in its opening weekend. Even though it was the number one movie by a long-shot, the opening was poor considering how large the film’s budget was, prompting some critics to refer to it as the next “Battleship”.
“Identity Thief”, the comedy that has been in the top spot off and on for the last few weeks, dropped to second this weekend with $9.7 million. It was followed by two of this weekend’s other new releases: the raunchy comedy “21 and Over” and “The Last Exorcism Part II”, the sequel to the devil-themed horror hit of a few years ago. Those films grossed $9 million and $8.03 million, respectively.
The complete list of the top 12 movies at the box office this weekend is below.
- “Jack the Giant Slayer”: $28.01 million
- “Identity Thief”: $9.7 million
- “21 and Over”: $9 million
- “The Last Exorcism Part II”: $8.03 million
- “Snitch”: $7.7 million
- “Escape from Planet Earth”: $6.7 million
- “Safe Haven”: $6.3 million
- “Silver Linings Playbook”: $5.9 million
- “A Good Day to Die Hard”: $4.5 million
- “Dark Skies”: $3.5 million
- “Warm Bodies”: $2.6 million
- “Life of Pi”: $2.3 million
Check out showtimes for these movies and more at the following St. Louis-area theaters.
- Wehrenberg Theatres
- AMC Theatres
- Regal Movie Theatres
- Galleria 6
- Chase Park Plaza
- Granite City
- Moolah Theatre
- Hi-Pointe Theatre
- St. Andrews Cinema
- Plaza Frontenac Cinema
- Tivoli Theatre
For more info, visit Box Office Mojo, or feel free to email me. For updates on my latest articles, click the subscribe button at the top of this page. You can also follow me on the following websites: