The first week of 2014 was a slow but still notable one at the box office. As January is notorious for a bland selection of new theatrical releases, the only new movie in wide release this weekend was “Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones”, a spin-off of the popular “Paranormal Activity” movies. That film did not perform as well as its predecessors though, only grossing $18.2 million but still coming in second place.
The number one movie was actually “Frozen”, the popular Disney animated fairy tale that has been in theaters since Thanksgiving. The last few weeks the film has held second place but this weekend it jumped into first with $20.7 million. That’s one of the highest grossing seventh weekends for a movie ever, and it’s showing few signs of slowing down. It also kicked the number one movie of the last few weeks, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”, into third with $16.2 million. Being a more family-friendly film, “Frozen” likely will continue to have good endurance over the last few weeks as few new films make their way to theaters.
The complete list of the top 12 movies at the box office this weekend is below. Click the links to read my full review of each film.
1. “Frozen”: $20.7 million
2. “Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones”: $18.2 million
3. “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”: $16.2 million
4. “The Wolf of Wall Street”: $13.4 million
5. “American Hustle”: $13.2 million
6. “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues”: $11.1 million
7. “Saving Mr. Banks”: $9.05 million
8. “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”: $8.2 million
9. “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”: $7.4 million
10. “Grudge Match”: $5.4 million
11. “47 Ronin”: $5 million
12. “Walking with Dinosaurs”: $3.7 million
Check out showtimes for these movies and more at the following St. Louis-area theaters.
- Wehrenberg Theatres
- AMC Theatres
- Regal Movie Theatres
- Galleria 6
- Chase Park Plaza
- Granite City
- Moolah Theatre
- Hi-Pointe Theatre
- St. Andrews Cinema
- Plaza Frontenac Cinema
- Tivoli Theatre
For more info, visit Box Office Mojo, or feel free to email me. For updates on my latest articles, click the subscribe button at the top of this page. You can also follow me on the following websites: