There were no changes in the high-echelon portions of the leaderboard as the seventh of 10 weekends were completed Sunday (June 8) in the 80th annual Florida State Bowling Association championships at the 80-lane Boardwalk Entertainment Center in Orlando.
In fact, according to up-to-date, current unofficial standings, no new bowlers or teams were able to ascend to any of the top three positions in any event classification, as the tournament heads toward completion on June 29.
As a result, Thomas Slusser of Bradenton continues as the handicap all-events leader with a nine-game score of 2,363, while Matthew Gilman of Broward County tops scratch all-events with a pinfall of 2,210 (a 245.5 average).
Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 of Miami retains the No. 1 position in the five-player scratch team event with a score of 3,410, while Once Rivals Now Teammates of Tallahassee sets the pace in handicap team action with 3,778. Other continuing leaders are: Jeremy Mooney of Palm Beach in scratch singles (782), Anthony Hampton of Ocala in handicap singles (851), Robert Platz and Jon Blum of Citrus County in handicap doubles (1,669), and Craig Montesi and Michael Moore of Orlando in scratch doubles (1,481).
Several Bradenton bowlers are newly listed among the Top 50, including Ed Swietek and Ed Slusser, who are now 23rd in handicap doubles (1,479) and 37th in scratch doubles (1,245). In addition, Swietek is in 16th place in handicap all-events (2,244). Ian Gray and Thomas McTigue of Bradenton moved into a tie for 13th in handicap doubles (1,505), and Gray is tied for 50th in handicap all-events (2,187).
Two other players representing the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Associasion -- Derek Lucas and Brent Dykstra of Venice -- are now tied for No. 46 in scratch doubles (1,234).
In addition to leading handicap all-events, Tom Slusser is tied for ninth place in handicap singles with 818, and he and partner Stephen Gergle are seventh in handicap doubles with 1,523. Also listed among the Top 60 are: Ronnie Hayes of Bradenton, tied for 14th in scratch singles (730) and 36th in handicap singles (786); Curtis Miccichi of Bradenton, 24nd in handicap singles (798); and Preston Willis of Bradenton, tied for 23rd in handicap all-events (2,224).
The tournament's perfect-game total climbed to 11, as George Gomez of Orlando strung 12 consecutive strikes during singles competition on Sunday.
The current top three in each tournament category, plus any Sarasota-Manatee County bowlers in the Top 60:
- TEAM EVENT HANDICAP: 1, Once Rivals, Now Teammates (Tallahassee) 3,778; 2, James Team (Space Coast) 3,648; 3, Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 (Miami) 3,607. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: 6th, Fletcher's Bunch 3,523; 10th, Four Aces 3,494; tie 34th, DJ & Crew 3,419.]
- TEAM EVENT SCRATCH: 1, Mike's Pro Shop No. 4 (Miami) 3,410; 2, Flying Circus II (Seminole County) 3,207; 3, Mike's Pro Shop No. 2 (Miami) 3,178. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: 53rd, Edward Jones Financial 2,836.]
- DOUBLES HANDICAP: 1, Robert Platz and Jon Blum (Citrus County) 1,669; 2, Lauren Bland and Mike Mojzak (Orlando) 1,602; 3, Craig Montesi and Michael Moore (Orlando) 1,567. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: 7th, Tom Slusser and Stephen Gergle (Bradenton) 1,523; tie 13th, Ian Gray and Thomas McTigue (Bradenton) 1,505; 23rd, Ed Swietek and Ed Slusser (Bradenton) 1,479.]
- DOUBLES SCRATCH: 1, Craig Montesi and Michael Moore (Orlando) 1,481; 2, Korey Stefanik and Richard Stefanik (Jacksonville) 1,422; 3, Israel Velasco and Carlos Hernandez (Miami) 1,368. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: 37th, Ed Swietek and Ed Slusser (Bradenton) 1,245; tie 46th, Derek Lucas and Brent Dykstra (Venice) 1,234.]
- SINGLES HANDICAP: 1, Anthony Hampton (Ocala) 851; 2, Jason Rowles (Orlando) 845; 3 tie, Garnett Ferguson (Broward County) and Dallas Smith Sr. (Jacksonville) 832. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: tie 9th, Tom Slusser (Bradenton) 818; 24th, Curtis Miccichi (Bradenton) 798; 36th, Ronnie Hayes (Bradenton) 786.]
- SINGLES SCRATCH: 1, Jeremy Mooney (Palm Beach) 782; 2, Michael Moscato (Space Coast) 767; 3, Tyson Kurth (Ocala) 762. [Sarasota-Manatee entrant: tie 14th, Ronnie Hayes (Bradenton) 730.]
- ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Tom Slusser (Bradenton) 2,363; 2, Lauren Bland (Orlando) 2,349; 3, Robert Davis (Greater Citrus) 2,292. [Sarasota-Manatee entrants: 16th Ed Swietek (Bradenton) 2,244; tie 23nd, Preston Willis (Bradenton) 2,224; tie 50th, Ian Gray (Bradenton) 2,187.]
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, Matthew Gilman (Broward County) 2,210; 2, Michael Moore (Orlando) 2,175; 3, Bobby Walters Jr. (Broward County) 2,154.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]