Call it sticker shock, but, many brides and grooms (not to mention parents) are often flabbergasted at the cost of a wedding cake. And, yes, the prices might be a little shocking when you first start looking at what cake you want for your wedding. However, it is an important part of the classic, traditional wedding and it isn't the place to cut corners.
The Basic Cake
Realistically you can expect to spend anywhere from $3.00 on the low end to $12.00 on the high end per guest. In New York you can expect to be on the higher end of the scale so, for example, $12 to $18 per slice, so, at $12/pp x 200 wedding guests = $2400. Keep in mind this is just for the cake and does not factor in other things like a cake topper and knife and server that you may also buy.
From a simple plastic bride and groom ($20 average) to Swarovski crystals ($100 average) or edible flowers ($2 per flower average), your topper is where you can save or spend money on your cake.
Looking for one of those cakes like you've seen on Carlo's Bakery of Cake Boss? Be ready to place your order two to three months in advance, and, be ready to pay at least $12 per person!
Tip and Hints about ordering your cake
- Ask to see a portfolio, and ask for references.
- Try to arrange cake tastings with several bakers before choosing one. Many bakers offer free tastings, but some charge a small fee.
- Start shopping around for a baker well in advance of your wedding date. Most bakers will do only a few weddings per week, so dates book up quickly.
Suggested NY Bakers and Pastry Chefs
- Carlo's Bakery of Cake Boss (http://bakeshop.carlosbakery.com/wedding-cakes/buttercream/)
- Cake Alchemy (http://www.cakealchemy.com)
- Confetti Cakes (http://www.confetticakes.com)
- Margaret Braun (http://www.margaretbraun.com)
- Slyvia Weinstock (http://www.sylviaweinstock.com/)
The bottom line, as with all aspects of planning your wedding, is to keep things in perspective. If you are on a tight budget and the baker or pastry chef is trying to "up-sell" you then find someone else. On the other hand, if you want a creative cake and your baker or pastry chef is steering you towards something simpler then you may need someone with more experience with high end wedding cakes.