No. 18 Penn State (7-3) has lost two of their past four games. The Lady Lions have lost to UConn (71-52), Notre Dame (77-67) and South Dakota State (83-79). Penn State is coming off a 66-58 victory over No. 20 Texas A&M on Dec. 15. The Lady Lions are 6-2 at home this season.
Alcorn State (1-8) has lost seven straight games and each of their losses have been by double digits. The Lady Braves have scored at least 50 points the past two games, after scoring 50 points just once in their first seven contests. Alcorn State’s lone victory is over Nebraska-Omaha 50-45.
This is the first ever meeting between the two schools.
Last time out
Maggie Lucas scored 17 of her game-high 26 points in the second half to power Penn State to a 66-58 win over #20/24 Texas A&M on Dec. 15. Lucas was 10-for-20 from the field en route to her seventh 20-point performance of the season for the senior and the 52nd of her sensational Lady Lion career. Ariel Edwards also reached double figures on the afternoon with 14 points, shooting a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line. She completed her performance with five boards and four assists. Talia East scored eight points and adding six rebounds, three blocks, an assist and a steal while Tori Waldner grabbed a career-high 11 boards. Waldner also netted four points, blocked three shots and swiped two steals.
The Lady Braves are coming off a 92-54 loss to tournament host Louisiana-Monroe on the final day of the Clarion Warhawk Classic on Dec. 14. Tiero Frost led Alcorn State with 13 points. McNichols and Wilson-Reid each added 11 points. Wilson-Reid also grabbed seven rebounds to lead the Lady Braves.
Penn State at a glance
The Lady Lions have been stellar on defense thus far, holding opponents to a paltry .338 shooting percentage. That .338 mark is on pace to shatter the school record for lowest opponent field goal percentage in a season. Penn State has not allowed an opponent to shot over 45 percent from the field and the only team to shoot better than 40% is top-ranked UConn, which connected on 43.9% of its shots.
Players to watch
- Maggie Lucas leads the Lady Lions with 21.6 points a game. She became the 18th player in Big Ten history to reach 2,000 points at Georgetown on Dec. 8. With 26 tallies versus #20/24 Texas A&M on Dec. 15, Lucas moved into 14th place on the Big Ten's career scoring list with 2,054 points.
- Ariel Edwards (14.0 ppg and 4.7 rpg). Edwards tied a career-high with 24 points versus South Dakota State earlier this season.
- Dara Taylor (11.0 ppg and 4.8 apg) notched a career-high 19 points and had five assists against South Dakota State on Dec. 11.
- Tierro Frost paces the Alcorn State offense with a 15.4 scoring average, which is fifth in the SWAC. She also pulls in 4.9 rebounds per game and has 13 steals.
- Ashtin McNichols has played in the Lady Braves’ last three games, averaging 9.0 points per gameSt