A Wisconsin grocer is voluntarily recalling more than 2,500 pounds of raw ground beef products, as the meat may be contaminated with E.coli. Glenn’s Market and Catering of Watertown is cooperating with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service in the recall, announced January 15.
The ground beef recall has been labeled as a high health risk.
The Wisconsin Division of Public Health documented at least three cases of E.coli illnesses, with infections beginning between Saturday, December 29, 2012, and Tuesday, January 1, 2013. In every instance, the patient had consumed raw ground beef from the same store.
“Consuming the common holiday tradition called Tiger Meat of Raw Uncooked Beef can cause illness,” warned a statement on the Glenn’s Market website.
Several agencies are working together in an ongoing investigation. Participants include the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; the Watertown Department of Public Health; thr Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection; and the Wisconsin Division of Public Health.
Which products are included in the beef recall at Glenn’s Market?
The recall covers ground beef, ground, chuck, and ground round products sold in various package sizes from Thursday, December 20, 2012, through Friday, January 4, 2013, at Glenn’s Market. The retail grocer is located at 722 West Main Street in Watertown.
Customers will need to check dates of Glenn’s Market beef products in their freezers, particularly if they purchased these items during the specified time period.
What should customers do with the recalled beef products?
Although the store’s website specifies that the ground beef should be safe to eat, if cooked to 160 (F) degrees , the market will accept returns of the recalled product. As with any product recall return, the meat should be returned in its original packaging.
What is E.coli?
A dangerous bacterial infection, often food-borne, E.coli can cause abdominal cramping, dehydration, diarrhea, fatigue, fever, kidney problems, nausea, vomiting, and other symptoms. In the most severe cases, or in compromised individuals, the result may be fatal.
Do you have a hot tip for foodies? Have a cool cooking event or fun food festival? Contact the Madison Foods Examiner with details for possible coverage in future articles.