Family reunions, picnics and barbecues are all part of summer traditions. If your family is hosting one of these events this summer, make up a batch of these delicious watermelon pops to serve for dessert or as a sweet refreshing treat to beat the heat. Strawberry and lime gelatin wrapped around a creamy cream cheese center and studded with miniature chocolate chips make a watermelon pops a refreshing summertime treat for young and old alike.
The original recipe for watermelon pops comes from Kraft.com, and calls for Jell-O brand gelatin. You can use any brand of gelatin to make your watermelon pops. The original watermelon pop recipe also calls for Cool Whip, but you can use any brand of nondairy whipped topping.
You can substitute reduced fat cream cheese, sugar-free gelatin, and fat-free nondairy whipped topping in the watermelon pop recipe, if desired. Watermelon or cherry flavored gelatin can also be substituted, if desired.
Watermelon pops recipe
Ingredients for watermelon popcicles
- 1 cup granulated white sugar, divided
- 1 package (3-ounce) lime flavor gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- Ice cubes
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 package (3-ounce) strawberry flavor gelatin
- 3 Tablespoons miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces (½ package) cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups thawed non-dairy whipped topping
- 16 paper cups (3-ounce each size)
- 16 wooden popsicle sticks
How to make watermelon pops:
- Mix 1/3 cup granulated white sugar and lime gelatin mix in medium bowl. Add 1 cup boiling water; stir 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to ½ cup cold water to measure ¾ cup. Add to lime gelatin; stir until ice is completely melted. Refrigerate 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, repeat step 1 using strawberry gelatin mix and omitting the refrigeration step. Pour into each of sixteen 3-ounce paper cups. Freeze 20 minutes. Stir ½ teaspoon miniature chocolate chips into gelatin in each cup.
- Beat cream cheese and remaining sugar with mixer in medium bowl until well blended. Stir in nondairy whipped topping and spread over gelatin in cups.
- Pour lime gelatin over cream cheese mixture. Insert wooden pop stick into gelatin in center of each cup. Freeze 3 hours or until firm. Remove pops from cups just before serving.
- Yield: 16 watermelon pops