Watching the Super Bowl isn’t just a game, it could be a health hazard for some fans. There are many studies out examining the relationship between the high incidence of sports emotional stress and heart attacks. Men experience three times the life-threatening cardiac events as would be expected on a normal day, and women aren’t much further behind, it doubles.
Stress-related game day stress
Junk food, smoking and binge drinking on top of the emotional stress that may people take as serious as their daily stress and life-impacting stress and you have a Super Bowl recipe for disaster. Lack of sleeping and proper rest before and after the important football game adds to the increased stress on heart disease patients. If you indulge in the above activities and you have heart disease if symptoms occur don’t take for granted they will go away if you chew up a few aspirin or take your nitroglycerin tablets. Instead take your pills while someone calls an emergency ambulance for you.
The studies confirm what people have been skeptical about
People who are not interested in sports find this a dry salty cracker to swallow. If you live with hard core sports fans or have friends who frequent sports bars and activities you don’t doubt it the results for a minute.
What can you do to lessen Super bowl stress:
1. Take prescribed medicines as usual, don’t put off taking them because you will be drinking. Don’t drink if your prescription says not to or the pharmacist and doctor tells you not to. Not taking your medication may risk your life.
2. Take getting rest seriously before during and after the game. In the weeks before and the weeks after are just as important. Overexhaustion adds to stress on the heart and its valves and the blood it is circulating.
3. Don’t over due it physically. If you don’t practice and prepare to play sports on a regular basis, Super Bowl time is not the time to get exhausted and put undue stress on your body.
4. Don’t smoke.
5. Try not to get mad and angry at the game or the people involved.
6. If you must drink, 2 drinks for a man with heart disease and only 1 for the ladies.
To get the latest updates from Atlanta Holistic Health Examiner Tina Ranieri ‘click’ the subscribe button above. To view her body of articles ‘click’ Tina Ranieri, National Holistic Health Examiner, or Atlanta Fishing Examiner.