Talk about whistling past the graveyard! Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz told the press today not only that the disastrous rollout of Obamacare website wouldn’t hurt the Democratic brand. She actually boasted that Dems would run on the Affordable Care Act in 2014 — and that they would win.
Speaking to reporters after an address to the DNC's Women Leadership Forum on Friday, Wasserman Schultz said the law will help the party with female voters because of the benefits women will receive under the healthcare law.
‘No, on the contrary, we know that women are already benefiting significantly from the part of ObamaCare that's already been implemented,’ she said.
As an example, she cited the ability of women to receive free birth control and preventative care under the law. She conveniently omitted or was ignorant of the fact that these “benefits” were mandatory for all enrollees, whether they want them or not. All policies purchased through the government exchanges are required to offer ten “essential” health services of which birth control and preventive care are one. Women past birthing age or whose religion precludes the use of commercial birth control products are simply out of luck.
Wasserman Schultz’s declaration of faith in the health care law comes on the same day that ten Democratic senators sent a letter to Health and Human Service Secretary Kathleen Sebelius urging her to extend the deadline for enrollment. But Wasserman Schultz, who rumor has it believes in the tooth fairy, expressed her confidence that the extension of the enrollment period won’t be necessary:
We fully expect that that won't be necessary, because the kinks that have occurred through the website are being worked on and are being ironed out.
She pointed to the "tech surge" — the team of experts and programmers called in to fix the sites — and claimed it "is already showing signs of being effective."
Ever the kidder, Wasserman Schultz recently quipped that it was "unfair" of Republicans to ask for enrollment numbers a month into the rollout. Oh, wait — she was serious? Never mind.
- Newest headache: Obamacare + sequestration = disaster for low-income families
- About that Obamacare penalty: The government has no way of enforcing it
- Not even Oprah willing to shill for Obama WH when it comes to Obamacare
- Heathcare.gov dramatically underestimates insurance costs
- How badly did Team Obama botch Healthcare.gov? Some facts and figures
- Carney ducks Obamacare questions, walks out of press briefing
- Obamacare success stories trumpeted in confused (and confusing) Rose Garden event
- Thousands of consumers get insurance cancellation notices due to health law changes
- Young people could be the solution to euthanizing Obamacare
- Individual mandate to be delayed starting in 5, 4, 3, …
- Leaked memo shows WH expected 500,000 would enroll in Obamacare by Oct. 31
- Under Obamacare, premiums for young healthy people will rise in 45 states
- Traffic at Obamacare website falls off 88% since Oct. 1 rollout