A hungry dog is being blamed for starting a fire in his home in the central Washington city of Wenatchee on Saturday as he reached onto the stove to get to his treats reports the WashingtonTimes.com.
The black Labrador retriever stood on his hind legs to grab his treats, and authorities speculate his paw accidentally turned on the stove.
Fire Marshall Mark Yaple told KPQ radio that no one was home at the time, but the apartment filled up with smoke causing approximately $10,000 worth of damage.
Firemen were able to rescue the dog and revived him with "mouth to snout" resuscitation.
Might this be a warning to all dog parents to be sure to leave a few treats for Fido when you are planning to be away, or to secure all food and treats in a secret place out of reach of those wandering paws.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest news on pet issues and how we can help those who cannot speak, please click the "Subscribe" icon.
Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook by clicking here. Please visit and "like" my page. You are welcome to submit story ideas by contacting me at firstname.lastname@example.org.