A man in Vancouver, Wash. experienced an unthinkable nightmare after becoming trapped inside a wood chipper before it was turned on, but as reported by KIRO TV on Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014, the man lived to tell the tale.
Frank Arce, after checking to ensure that it was turned off, had climbed into the machine in order to dislodge an object which had caused the machine to stop working properly. However, as he was working to get the object loose, he heard a terrifying noise – the sound of the engine powering on.
Arce suffered from a broken pelvis, shattered ankle, bruised liver, broken leg and knee, and a cut that runs the length of his body. He will remain in the hospital for at least another two weeks and all of his medical bills will be paid for by his employer.
It was not revealed if the machine was turned on by another employee or whether some sort of malfunction caused the engine to kick on by itself.
Arce admitted that the worse part of the entire ordeal was being completely conscious and knowing what was happening. He gives credit to his fast-acting coworkers, and a guardian angel, for saving his life.
Subscribe to receive (spam free) email notification of new Top News articles.
Be sure to check out her other Examiner columns.