It was definitely a Knight to remember as Wartburg College became the first school to win a fourth consecutive team title at the 2014 NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships at U.S. Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids Saturday night.
The Waverly, Iowa-based school now has 11 NCAA D3 team championships, tying the record held by long-time rival Augsburg. Since 1995, that title has been won by either Wartburg or Augsburg.
Wartburg won the team title with 103.5 points. The Knights had four finalists… with three leaving as champions: Kenny Anderson at 133 pounds, Cole Welter at 165, and, at 174, Landon Williams. It was the third consecutive NCAA title for Anderson, who becomes only the third Knight to win triple titles… and only the thirteenth wrestler from any school to claim three championships in Division III competition.
In second place in the team standings was University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, with 67 points, despite not having any individual champs.
Pennsylvania’s Messiah College placed third, with 64 points. Kaleb Loht won the 141-pound crown for the Falcons.
Other individual champions include 125-pounder Mike Fuenffinger of Augsburg, Elmhurst’s Ryan Prater at 149, Nazar Kulchytskyy of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (successfully defending his title at 157), Riley Lefever of Wabash at 184, Cornell College of Iowa’s Alex Coolidge at 197, and, at heavyweight, James Buss of Loras College.
Match Results -- Championship Finals
- 125: Mike Fuenffinger (Augsburg) maj. dec. Lucas Malmberg (Messiah), 12-4
- 133: Kenny Anderson (Wartburg) dec. Alex Gomez (Ithaca), 4-2 SV1
- 141: Kaleb Loht (Messiah) dec. Matt Adcock (Wisconsin-Whitewater), 6-3
- 149: Ryan Prater (Elmhurst) dec. Robert Dierna (SUNY-Cortland), 4-2
- 157: Nazar Kulchytskyy (Wisconsin-Oshkosh) pinned Dimitri Boyer (Coe), 4:20
- 165: Cole Welter (Wartburg) dec. Nicholas Carr (Washington & Jefferson), 5-3
- 174: Landon Williams (Wartburg) pinned Anthony Bonaventura (Waynesburg), 2:46
- 184: Riley Lefever (Wabash) dec. Brian Broderick (College of New Jersey), 3-1, SV1
- 197: Alex Coolidge (Cornell Col.) dec. Shane Siefert (Wisconsin-Whitewater), 6-5
- Hwt: James Buss (Loras) dec. Ryan Fank (Wartburg), 4-1
Final Team Standings (Top 20 Placers)
- Wartburg, 103.5 team points
- Wisconsin-Whitewater, 67
- Messiah, 64
- Coe, 54
- Augsburg, 43
- (tie) Delaware Valley/SUNY-Cortland, 39.5
- Johnson & Wales, 37
- Wabash, 36
- Wisconsin-Oshkosh, 34.5
- Ithaca, 30.5
- Concordia-Moorhead, 28.5
- Williams, 28
- (tie) Loras/College of New Jersey, 25
- Cornell College of Iowa, 23.5
- (tie) Elmhurst/Mount Union, 22.5
- Waynesburg, 20
- Olivet, 19
It's the most exciting time of the college wrestling season. Subscribe today! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments (including conference and national championships), as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, new events, new ways to promote wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!