Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Wart removers: Information that will spark a users interest

What does a wart remover have in common with fire wood? Surprisingly, both of them are flammable.

Wart removal

Since 2009, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)—has received 14 reports concerning over-the-counter wart remover products. The complaint is that some wart removers have a mixture of liquid dimethyl ether and propane.

As a result of these chemicals some consumers have caught fire during use. These incidents have occurred at home and have harmed consumers and or set fire to items around there homes.

According to FDA nurse consultant Karen Nast, "The labeling for these products clearly states that they are flammable and should be kept away from fire, flame, heat sources, and cigarettes," Nast notes. In three of the reports, there was a candle nearby, but in the other 11 reports no ignition source was identified. "This is extremely concerning, especially because people may not be aware that everyday household items like curling irons and straight irons can be hot enough to be an ignition source for these products," Nast says.

Nast says that while the FDA has received only 14 reports of fires related to cryogenic treatments to date, such occurrences are often under-reported. She encourages consumers to inform the FDA about similar experiences. "It's important for us to know when and how problems like this happen," she says.

You can report device-related problems through FDA's MedWatch alert system.

Report this ad