Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Top News

Warren couple loses home to fire

See also

A potential candle fire cost a Warren couple their home on March 6, although they were able to escape with only minor injuries. A pet cat is thought to have died in the structure fire in the Mountain View Mobile Home Park though.

More than two dozen firefighters from Columbia River Fire and Rescue and Scappoose Fire District responded to the mobile home park, at 34774 Millard Road at 2:38 a.m. There, CRF&R Chief Jay Tappan said they found a double wide trailer with heavy flames trough the roof and windows. The homeowners were present at the time of the fire. Loren Maier heard popping and crackling noises toward the back of the home and found the fire in the bathroom area. His efforts to put it out with an extinguisher were unsuccessful, prompting his wife, Donna, to call 9-1-1 and summon emergency personnel. When paramedics from CRF&R arrived, they treated Loren Maier for mild smoke inhalation and burns.

Chief Tappan said that the Maiers reported that they had likely left a candle burning in the bathroom, and this may have caused the fire. It is unknown what materials caught fire first though. The couple lost all of their possessions. The trailer was a total loss. The American Red Cross provided assistance to the couple.

It took about 40 minutes for firefighters to get the blaze under control. They also worked to protect surrounding structures and vehicles. When the fire was under control, personnel remained for another two hours to ensure that hotspots were out. Firefighters brought four fire engines, a medical unit, a water tender and several support vehicles.

Advertisement