According to Wednesday's AZ Central News, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office has served a search warrant which will allow investigators to scour the Gilbert, Ariz., dog boarding facility where nearly two dozen dogs died in late June.
Authorities were on the premises of the Green Acre Dog Boarding facility early Wednesday morning searching for clues into what led up to the death of the dogs who died from apparent heat exhaustion back on June 19.
MaLeisa Hughes, and her husband, Todd, who own and operate the Green Acre dog boarding facility, have not yet been charged for the tragic incident. The couple was in Florida when the dogs died - the dogs had been left in the care of the Hughes' adult children.
Just after the dogs died, the dog owners were informed that their pets had escaped from the facility; they learned the devastating truth a short time later.
When the incident first took place, the authorities were told that one of the dogs had chewed through wiring to an air-conditioning unit which in turn, caused the building where the dogs were being held to heat up to a lethal temperature.
Not long after the dogs died, MCSO Sheriff Joe Arpaio held a press conference and vowed to conduct a thorough investigation to see if there was is any evidence of wrong-doing.
Arpaio had stated:
We are going to check phone records. We are going to check air condition meters,"
"We will see if there is any violation of the animal cruelty laws, any criminal intent, neglect."
Arpaio has indicated that the timeline for what allegedly took place "doesn't add up."
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog-related news, tips and advice, please click the word "Subscribe," near the top of the article. Follow along on Facebook and Twitter for more stories and updates.