Before you jump into the basics of marketing on social media, you need to identify your audience. This should be the group you know most completely. Look at your target client and do the research to get to know:
• Which social media platforms they frequent the most
• What time of day they are active on these platforms the most
• What type of questions they ask; what most concerns them
• Which types of posts they respond to most enthusiastically
Then make sure you are also present on their favored platforms when they are most active and present.
One of the most basic strategies for social media marketing success – and one which is most often ignored, believe it or not – is to be there, live and active on the social network of your audience’s choice at the right time of day or night.
And don’t just lurk and follow – participate and share.
- Comment on posts
- Answer questions
- Share information
- Thank people for their information, answers or comments
- Help your followers and fans
Make sure you identify yourself visually in each social network with a professional-quality, recent head shot for your social media Profile Photos – you want your target audience to be instantly able to put a face to your name.
And don’t be afraid to brand yourself by using little tricks such as always including a particular element such as a specific color in your Profile or Cover photos; as Mari Smith did when starting out by always wearing turquoise-aqua as her “signature” color; or Sandi Krakowski did with her trademark magenta hair streak.