Gay rights groups Tuesday heralded a stunning and unexpected move by Walmart. The world’s largest retail chain told employees Monday the company is extending healthcare and other benefits to domestic partner, including same-sex partners.
The announcement was made via postcards that arrived Monday and yesterday as was confirmed by employees at the Walmart in Rochester Hills, Mich.
Yesterday Randy Hargrove told USA Today the benefit extends to domestic partners that are in an ongoing exclusive relationship that has already lasted at least one year. However no proof of this qualification will be required for enrollment according to Hargrove
The gay community applauded the move. In a Tuesday email to supporters from Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin stated "I am moved by my former employer's historic action that further proves equality is good business. They have sent a cultural signal that equality for LGBT people is the simplest of mainstream values and we look forward to continuing to work with them."
This is an unusual move with regard to healthcare as most employers have been cutting back on their healthcare benefit in the wake of rising costs due to the Affordable Healthcare Act, better known as Obamacare. Many employers have reduced hours so their employee count drops below the minimum requirement of the act and others have announced they will no longer cover family members other than the employee.
Additional Diversity Resources
- Employment Diversity In Michigan , a networking group on Linked In.
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Diversity by the numbers
- Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
- 35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say: Surprising Things We Say That Widen the Diversity Gap.
- 50 Activities for Promoting Communication and Understanding at Work: The Diversity Training Activity Book
Other articles and white papers of interest: