Walmart stores announced Monday a commitment to hire 100,000 veterans over the next five years, the strongest corporate commitment to the military to date. Meanwhile officials at Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Clinton Township are increasing their efforts to help their veterans find jobs.
"Hiring a veteran can be one of the best business decisions you make,” Walmart US Chief Executive Bill Simon will say Tuesday at the National Retail Federation conference according to Reuters News Service. “Veterans have a record of performance under pressure."
Meanwhile Selfridge hosted their first intimate job fair for veterans and servicemen nearing their discharge dates. The first installment was Sunday afternoon during which six companies with openings were available for immediate interviews. Huntington Bank, PAT USA and Quicken Loans were among the employers attending that have shown a commitment to our nation’s heroes. Program coordinator Paulus Obey hopes to make it a monthly event at the base.
The world’s largest retailer, which has nearly one and a half million employees, will hire any veteran seeking a job within 12 months after an honorable discharge.
The New York Times says Gary Profit, Senior Director of Military Programs at Walmart as saying the jobs may be full or part time at stores or distribution centers.
Many employers aggressively seek veterans because of their teamwork, problem solving, personal discipline and stress reaction skills.
Other articles and white papers of interest:
- Additional job search tips– home page for several articles
- Grow your resume– educational, certification, and other ways to enhance your resume
- Job search myths– a series separating myths from reality for job seekers.
- Management styles- three types.
- Corporate structures- from entrepreneur to conglomerate.
Top advice during your job search
- How to Find a Job: When There Are No Jobs: a necessary job search book and career planning guide for surviving and prospering in today's hyper competitive job market.
- 301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions.
- Your Social Media Job Search: Use LinkedIn, Twitter, and other tools to get the job you want!