Go ahead and roll up that yoga mat and get ready to make a splash, instead.
The world of water sports has, undeniably, changed in a very profound way. In fact, the entire industry has practically reinvented itself. No longer are the days of water skiing, snorkeling, kiteboarding, surfing, or even the most recently popular activity: stand-up paddleboarding (SUP). Let's just say wakeboarding and, now, wakeskating are taking the world of sports by storm. Wakeskating easily blows stand-up paddleboarding out of the water (no pun intended)!
The proper definition of wakeboarding is the "sport of riding over water on a short surfboard and performing stunts while holding a rope towed by a speedboat." http://www.dictionary.com
Wakeskating is a "water sport and an adaptation of wakeboarding that employs a similar design of board manufactured from maple or from fiberglass. Unlike wakeboarding, the rider is not bound to the board in any way, which gives the sport its own unique challenges. The top surface of the board is covered with griptape, (in a similar fashion to a skateboard) or a soft, high-traction, foam, usually referred to as EVA foam, covering that is kinder to riders in the inevitable crashes and also allows a rider to ride barefoot. Riders usually wear shoes while riding to afford themselves extra purchases on the board, similar to skateboarding." http://www.ask.com
The industry of wakeskating, in particular, is continuing to grow immensely. Why? To put it simply: wakeskating is skateboarding ON THE WATER! What a concept!
R2R Productions is a renowned, reputable company dedicated to the wakeboard and wakeskate industry, particularly in the South Florida area. As their website states, "bringing you closer to the new wake world one event at a time!" http://www.R2Rproductions.com
R2R Productions has frequent events dedicated to these water sports. The events held are always a success with numerous activities other than the contest(s), which include live music, give-a-ways, food and drink specials, boat rides, and much more!
Below is a brief summary of the main advantages and disadvantages of wakeskating:
- relatively easy on the joints
- full-body workout (uses practically all muscle groups)
- beneficial to cardiovascular health)
- still practical for beginners (see cable park website(s) for specific classes)
- requires minimal equipment (think of the price of just a single paddleboard); remember one may choose to rent equipment
- the rider is not bound to the board in any way
- THRILLING and a TON OF FUN!
- a very effective way to attain a SHREDDED body!
- accessibility of cable park is necessary (assuming one does not have a boat)
- still a good sport for beginners; however, some muscle strength and fitness level is required (i.e., one cannot be extremely overweight to employ such an activity)
- wakeskating has its challenges and it isn't for everyone; the only way to know is to give it a try
Using a cable park system is certainly one of the smartest ways to begin learning and actually trying out this extreme water sport.
Below are two cable park systems located in South Florida:
Don't forget to check out: http://www.R2Rproductions.com