Instead of hitting the snooze button one more time, use these few minutes in the morning to get your blood moving. Wake up faster and more alert by stretching and toning your body a little more each day.
- Stretch for 5 seconds, then release. Repeat 3 times.
- Hold for 30 seconds, then release. Repeat this stretch with the opposite leg.
Lower Back Twist: Put your legs together and arms straight out to your sides. Bend your knees at a right angle. Twist your pelvis to lower your knees to one side of your body.
- Hold for 30 seconds, then release. Repeat this stretch on the opposite side.
Head Rolls: Allow your head to drop down to your chest and slowly roll it from side to side, feeling the stretch in your neck.
Shoulder Circles: Shrug your shoulders in a circular motion first forward, then backward.
- Repeat 5 times each way.
Arm Stretch: Stretch your right arm across your body under your chin and grab the top of the right arm with your left hand. Pull the arm into your body, feeling the stretch in your right arm and shoulder. Hold for 30 seconds then do the same with the left arm.
Behind Head Arm Stretch: Sitting up in bed, reach your right arm straight up and then bend it to place your hand behind your head. Grab your right elbow with your left hand and apply pressure until you feel a stretch in the upper part of your right arm.
- Hold for 30 seconds and repeat with left arm.
Single Leg Toe Touch: Sitting up in bed, straighten your right leg and bend you left one, placing your left foot against your right thigh. Pointing your toes on your right foot, bend down and grab as low down on your leg, ankle or foot as you can reach.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds then switch legs.
- Stretch down as far as you can and hold – do not bounce.
- If you cannot reach your toes, make note on how far down your legs you are reaching and then mark your progress as you continue performing this stretch.
Toe Touch: While sitting up in bed, straighten your legs and reach to see if you can touch your toes. Hold as far down on your legs as possible for 30 seconds.
- Again, stretch down as far as you can and hold – do not bounce.
Wide Leg Toe Touch: Sitting up, spread your legs as wide as you can and then reach as far down as possible. Grab your leg or ankle and hold for 30 seconds.
- Again, hold this stretch, don’t bounce.
After completing all, or some of these stretches you have stimulated your muscles and encouraged blood flow from head to toe helping you feel more awake, loose and ready to face the day.
Stretching is cheaper and more therapeutic than another cup of coffee and can get your day started even faster than that cup o' joe!
For a full list of the benefits of stretching, click here.