Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Wake County will reach a milestone this week

Raleigh skyline
Raleigh skyline
Wikimedia Commons

Wake County will soon pass a milestone -- the county will add its 1 millionth resident. The milestone will likely be reached on Friday, Aug. 22, according to a press release from the county government.

The 1 millionth resident could be either by someone moving into the county or a new birth, the press release stated. The release even gave odds for each option -- 65 percent chance for a new resident and 35 percent for a birth.

County Board of Commissioners Chair Phil Matthews said the milestone reflects Wake County's rapid growth, which he said shows that the county "continues to be a fantastic place to live and do business." Matthews added: "It is so important to keep in mind our County’s growth as we think and prepare for the future. We are big, and we need to think big."

The county is growing by 62 persons a day, according to data compiled by the county’s Planning, Development and Inspections Office in partnership with the UNC

Carolina Population Center. The area's popularity is growing as its reputation spreads, fueled by surveys rating it at or near the top of lists for such characteristics as quality of life, state of the local economy and job opportuities.

Another ranking came out Monday: Forbes Magazine rated Raleigh the No. 2 city in the country in the magazine's Best Cities for Young Professionals survey. The survey analyzed the 100 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas in the nation, ranking them on seven factors including unemployment rates and median salaries for 24- to 34-year-old employed college graduates. The magazine said about Raleigh: "Its close proximity to the Research Triangle Park, where more than 170 companies — including IBM, GlaxoSmithKline, Syngenta, Credit Suisse, and Cisco — have outposts makes it a hotbed of job opportunities. The area is a natural greenhouse for the well-educated, thanks to the presence of North Carolina State University in Raleigh, Duke University in nearby Durham, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill."

Report this ad