Saturday September 28th is National Public Lands Day, America’s biggest day for volunteers to help out on public lands. Publiclandsday.org has a large registry of volunteer events and there are nearly one hundred events in California. Set aside saturday to volunteer in your favorite park!
Here are several of the events in Southern California:
- Arroyo Burro Trail Maintenance Project - Santa Barbara, CA - Join City Parks, County Parks, the Forest Service and local trail organizations in the fixing up of the historic Arroyo Burro Trail.
- El Dorado Nature Center - Long Beach, CA - Removal of invasive plants, habitat restoration and fire control.
- Harbor Cove Beach - Ventura, CA - Volunteers will participate in California Coastal Clean-Up Day by collecting trash and recyclables at the beach.
- Los Padres National Forest, Santa Cruz Trail - Santa Barbara, CA - Volunteers will be cutting back brush within the trail corridor and improving water control structures from the lower trail head above Upper Oso Campground to the meadow above the Nineteen Oaks Connector.
- Newport Aquatic Center - Newport Beach, CA - Join REI, NAC and Newport Bay Conservancy to get out on the water for National Public Lands Day! Kayak clean ups are a fun easy way to get trash out of the bay.
- Newport Bay Nature Preserve - Irvine, CA - Maintain trails, plant vegetation, water plants and remove weeds.
- San Bernadino National Forest, Apple White Picnic Area - Lytle Creek, CA - Clear illegal dams from the streambed, reduce fire hazardous shrubbery, collect trash and more.
- San Buenaventura State Beach - Ventura, CA - Together with California State Parks employees and representatives of Friends of Channel Coast State Parks, volunteers will assist with landscape projects, including brush and weed abatement, and removal of non-native and invasive species at San Buenaventura State Beach.
- Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area - Malibu, CA - Meet at the parking lot at the end of Corral Canyon road for work on the Backbone Trail from Corral Canyon west toward Newton Motorway.
- Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument - Idyllwild, CA - Clean up the trails and install water bars.
- Santiago Park Nature Reserve - Santa Ana, CA - Come assist Back to Natives in restoring habitat for animals at the Santiago Park Nature Reserve in Santa Ana!
- Schabarum Regional Park - Rowland Heights, CA - Paint picnic tables and spread mulch at various areas around the facility.
- Shipley Nature Center - Huntington Beach, CA - Main activity will include trail maintenance and brush clearing projects at Shipley Nature Center.
- Stough Canyon Nature Center - Burbank, CA - Maintenance work on "Trail 3" in Wildwood Canyon in the Verdugo Mountains.
- White Point Nature Preserve - San Pedro, CA - Help maintain the native plant demonstration garden and trails by removing weeds, watering plants and repairing trail erosion.