There are many wonderful parks in Knoxville, TN that offer fun and recreation for the entire family. An area in North Knoxville called Fountain City has an area called Adair Park. Adair Park offers a shelter, gazebo, pond, playground, butterfly gardens, and a community building as well as other recreational amenities.
This park, built in 1996, is maintained by the Friends of Adair Park. This non-profit organization is responsible for building the gorgeous butterfly garden.
A large portion of Adair Park, called the Sue Clancy Greenway, leads walkers and joggers through stately forests alongside a pond and a bubbling brook. This lush walking path is a delight for the avid bird-watcher. The path loops around the park and includes bridge crossings.
Fountain City was founded in 1791 by a settler named John Adair. John settled in a location that was known as Grassy Valley. Grassy Valley was renamed Adair Station and later became known as Fountain City – as it is called today. A native-born Irishman from the province of Ulster, John Adair and his wife Ellen immigrated to Maryland in 1732. From there, the couple eventually moved to Pennsylvania, then to North Carolina. The Adairs finally settled in Tennessee where John became a Knox County Commissioner in 1792. John Adair died on his farm in 1827. The farm is now occupied by Lynnhurst Cemetery.