Baby boomers held on to the respect for authority expressed by their builder / traditionalist parents. However the respect for authority was based only on childhood teachings not an actual military involvement experienced by the two generations preceding. Unlike the successes of World War I and World War II baby boomers these two great deal of their opinions of authority on the Vietnam War.
Inability of government leaders to connect the citizenry with their goals in Vietnam led to protesting and a general distrust of leadership. Anti-disestablishmentarianism but that baby boomers would treat those in authority with respect to typically not with the admiration shown by their parents and grandparents.
When we look at this view of authority in the workplace we quickly understand the baby boomers will often treat authority figures with respect but will not give the unquestionable follow through on orders. To effectively lead baby boomers is critical to get them to buy into the mission and vision of what is hoped to be achieved.
Once there is a common, shared vision with those in authority baby boomers would demonstrate the same level of loyalty and respect as their predecessors.
©2014 Max Impact, used with permission.
Learn more about today’s generations:
- Builders / Traditionalists, also known as the greatest generation, born before 1944
- Baby boomers, sometimes relabeled the sandwich generation, born between 1943 and 1964
- Generation X, born between 1961 and 1980
- Generation Y, sometimes referred to as the millennial generation, born between 1977 and 2000
- Millennials, sometimes referred to as generation Z, born after 1998
- “Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Boomers, Gen Xers, and Gen Yers in the Workplace”
- “Because I Said So! ”: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids.
- “When Generations Collide”: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work.
- More books about generations.
- For viewing: Thousands of vintage old television program and classic movies at Amazon Prime. Get a free trail