The victims of the Albuquerque shooting incident were the 15-year-old shooter’s family members. As of Sunday night, investigators are still looking into a possible motive of why the 15-year-old Albuquerque shooter killed his father Greg Griego and 4 other members of his Albuquerque family. On Sunday night, the Bernalillo County sheriff's office announced that the victims in the Albuquerque shooting incident are Greg Griego, his wife Sara Griego, 9-year-old Zephania Griego, 5-year-old Jael Griego, and 2-year-old Angelina Griego, reported the Miami Herald on Jan. 20, 2013.
In an earlier Albuquerque shooting press conference, Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston had said that the 15-year-old shooter “may be a family member.” Sheriff Dan Houston described during the Albuquerque shooting incident press conference that deputies had been called to the Albuquerque home in a rural area southwest of downtown Albuquerque around 9:25 p.m. on Saturday. A call had been made to the police dispatch indicating that a shooting had occurred. Sheriff Dan Houston said that deputies were called by “a party that was called by the suspect." Dan Houston emphasized that the “the dynamics of that relationship” is still unknown.
When deputies arrived at Greg Griego’s home, deputies found a most “horrific” scene of the shot two adults and the three grade-school children, two girls and one boy. All victims had been shot several times. Numerous weapons, including a semiautomatic military-style assault rifle were found by deputies at the Albuquerque shooting crime scene. Sheriff Dan Houston said that multiple weapons were used during the shooting. "I've never seen a scene quite like this."
The narrow dirt road that led to victim Greg Griego’s Albuquerque home was immediately blocked off with a roadblock as police and investigators searched the house which is surrounded by trees and an agricultural field on one side. Some of Greg Griego’s neighbors said that they saw the first police cars and some ambulances at the rural Albuquerque home on Saturday night. “The road was blocked and word of the shootings began to make its way through the neighborhood.”
During Sunday’s earlier Albuquerque press conference, County Sheriff Dan Houston had said that a 15-year-old had been charged with the Albuquerque shooting deaths. The 15-year-old suspect “has been charged with two counts of murder and three counts of child abuse resulting in death.”
The Associated Press is withholding the name of the 15-year-old Albuquerque shooting suspect while the investigation is ongoing because he is a juvenile. Bernalillo County sheriff's Lt. Sid Covington did say that while the alleged Albuquerque shooter is being charged as a juvenile by the District Attorney, prosecutors could bring charges against him as an adult.
Greg Griego, the 15-year-old Albuquerque shooting suspect’s father and victim, was a Fire Department chaplain who lived in the rural Albuquerque home with the other shooting victims including his wife Sara, 9-year-old Zephania, 5-year-old Jael, and 2-year-old Angelina.
According to the Miami Herald report, Greg Griego was a Fire Department chaplain and a spiritual leader who was known for his work with firefighters. He had spent 13 years as a volunteer chaplain at the county jail. Fire Chief James Breen said in a statement that “Chaplin Griego was a dedicated professional that passionately served his fellow man and the firefighters of this community. His calming spirit and gentle nature will be greatly missed."
Jail Chief Ramon Rustin said about Greg Griego that he was “instrumental in the creation of the Metropolitan Detention Center's chaplain program and worked to get inmates integrated back into the community.” In addition, “Griego also was a former member of the pastoral staff at Calvary, a Christian church in Albuquerque. As part of his work there, he oversaw the Straight Street program for jail inmates.”
While the names of the victims of Saturday’s Albuquerque shooting incident have been revealed by Sunday night, investigators are saying that they will not release any further information about the Albuquerque shooting incident, the victims, and any potential shooting motive until Sheriff Dan Houston holds a news conference on Tuesday.
More articles by this author…
- 2012 Businessperson of the Year: 10 surprise facts about Amazon.com’s Jeff Bezos (Slide Show)
- Green Monday 2012: How to get the best Green Monday deals in 3 easy steps
- Cyber Monday 2012: How to get the best Cyber Monday deals in 3 easy steps
- Costco’s 2012 Black Friday ads are here, closed Thanksgiving, open Black Friday
- Discover ShopDiscover.com: How to ‘shop & earn money’ in 3 easy steps
- Cheap gas prices: Where to find the cheapest gas price in your area
- How to get last-minute Christmas sales & deals in 3 easy steps, coupons all year
- 'Downton Abbey’ sweepstakes entry form link, info to win trip to London
- Naked eBay seller gets $250,000 for half-naked picture on eBay: Boyfriend smiles
- Subway footlong only 11 inches long: Someone forgot to press down on it (Video)
- Apocalypse: Will the end of the world happen on Dec. 21, 2012, or Dec. 23, 2012?
- End of the world: How NASA and the world prepares for Dec. 21, 2012
- End of the world: Liu Qiyuan fulfills promise to his daughter, builds capsule
- Computer-savvy 99-year-old grandmother fights crime
- Zorb ride, giant inflatable ball ride, ends deadly in Russia (Video)
- Coyotes attack man in his back yard: How to live with coyotes
- Chihuahua puppy survives 80-foot fall
- Alligator heads toward main runway, near jet-gator collision
- Teen survives shot into the heart
- GPS error 900 miles: Grandma led on 2-day trip through 6 countries
- Horse meat found in burgers: 30% ‘horsemeat-heavy burger’
- 18 heads found at airport: 18 human heads travel from U.S. to Italy and back
- Cleaning woman kidnaps train, crashes train into three-story apartment building (Video)
- Loyal dog attends mass every day after owner’s funeral, waits by the altar
- Discovery of ‘Pain Gene’ brings new personalized pain treatment
- FCC rule goes into effect today: TV commercials cannot be louder than TV show
- Anais Fournier lawsuit, Monster Energy drink: A potentially silent killer
- Flu outbreak: How to protect yourself, San Diego’s 2nd flu-related death
- Junior Seau’s suicide due to chronic football brain damage (Video)
- High-tech digital toilet training with the iPotty at Consumer Electronics Show
- Flu outbreak: Smartphones spread flu virus
- How to disable or uninstall Java: U.S. Homeland Security Java warning
- Egypt’s President Mohammed Morsi: A one-man democracy
- Israel-Gaza conflict: Can the world exhale? 'Air raid sirens could be heard'
- Pork recipes: The ‘pork recipe’ Consumer Reports does not recommend
- Video games and the Museum of Modern Art: ‘Pac-Man instead of Picasso’
- Facebook users to vote on privacy by Dec. 10, 2012: Extremely important
- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez: Cancer has returned, keeps faith
- American doctor rescued from Taliban: ‘We were concerned for his life’
- Latest update: Rescued American doctor was among 3 Taliban hostages
- SEAL Team 6 member killed by single gunshot to the head in helicopter assault
- Strauss-Kahn settles with sexual assault accuser
- Gun control: Oregon 7-graders seize gun in movie theater
- California law to ban gay conversion therapy has been stopped
- ‘Fiscal cliff’ deal agreement reached, vote expected to be retroactive
- Facebook password law, Twitter password law, and unique other new laws for 2013
- President Barack Obama’s fight for the middle class: What is the middle class?
- World’s oldest woman dies at 115
- Topless women protest in front of Vatican, Pope Benedict
- Father, sons die hiking: 4-month-old Lab retriever stayed with them, survives
- Deaf twins euthanized: The story of Marc and Eddy
- Gun show accident: Accidental shooting of 3 with 12-gauge shotgun
- Three gun show accidents in NC, Ohio, Ind. on Gun Appreciation Day
- Man lived with dead girlfriend for over 6 months
- Lottery winner’s cyanide death ruled homicide, body exhumed for tests, arrest
- Ferry crash in New York: With ‘full speed right into the pier’
- Latest update: Oregon mall shooting, shooter kills himself, 2 others, 1 injured
- Oregon mall shooting: ‘The heroes were the mall employees’
- Aurora shooting motive: Sonny Archuleta kills 3, woman survives by jumping
- James Holmes: Aurora shooting new details revealed by 8 people on first day
- James Holmes Aurora shooting preliminary hearing: What is the real motive?
- Taft classroom shooter arrested, used shotgun, planned more shooting (Video)
- San Diego: San Marcos movie theater shooting on Friday, Jan. 11, 2013
- British girl, 8, dies in Jamaica gun attack
- Judge: 12-year-old guilty of murder
- Video: Albuquerque shooting victims are dad, mom, 3 kids, motive investigated
Connecticut School Shooting:
- Emotional disabilities in children: A silent killer
- Connecticut school shooting: The world’s response, ‘Death be not proud’
- Connecticut school shooting: One girl hid in blood, played dead, sole survivor
- APA: How to help Sandy Hook’s children deal with the Connecticut school shooting
- How to support Newtown to become ‘Newcountry’ in Washington
- Gohmert: Sandy Hook’s principal should have had ‘an m-4 in her office’
- Connecticut school shooting: Guns in schools, movies, malls after Sandy Hook
- Connecticut school shooting: A Sandy Hook Bushmaster in ‘Disney Princess design’
- Where and how to report scams: Sandy Hook scammers prey on Noah Pozner’s family
- Sandy Hook: What would you do? Newtown drowns in teddy bears (Video)
- Nancy Lanza, Adam Lanza’s DNA: Psychopath or sociopath
- Adam Lanza, Nancy Lanza: Why more Newtown lawsuits will follow Sandy Hook
- Sandy Hook $100 million lawsuit has been withdrawn
- Connecticut school shooting: Lanza shot mother in face, left clean room behind
- A killer’s profile: Why Adam Lanza killed innocent children
- Nancy Lanza: Profile of a killer’s mother
- Adam Lanza, Nancy Lanza: Questions and answers
- Erika Menendez, Adam Lanza: ‘Difficult to deal with’
- Man lived with dead girlfriend for over 6 months
- Connecticut school shooting: Sandy Hook reborn in new school named ‘Sandy Hook’
- Sandy Hook: How one Sandy Hook mother lives on after her son’s death
- Emotional disabilities in children: A silent killer
- Special education: What are emotional disabilities?
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Who, what, when, where, how, and why
- Learning disabilities and the National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- Childhood physical abuse changes a child's brain and affects learning, behavior (Video)
- What is ADHD and how does it differ from OCD?
- Special Education: Federal Appeals Court rules for special education student
- Whitney Houston and Randy Travis: Alcohol and the lost ‘Sparkle’ of childhood (Video)
- Rosie O’Donnell and her childhood: ‘i am lucky to be here’ (Video)
- Lady Gaga, Kirstie Alley and a message to girls: ‘There's an insanity here’
- Katie Couric’s bulimia: ‘I wasn’t good enough or attractive enough'
- Lady Gaga’s bulimia: ‘I didn’t fit in, and I felt like a freak.’
- Lady Gaga’s Twitter post: Fighting fiction with facts, ‘vernacular’ or ‘slut’?
- Lady Gaga: Eating disorder, bulimia, anorexia, which one is it?
- Lindsay Lohan crosses the continent: From New York to Los Angeles
- Maybe this time: Lindsay Lohan to spend 245 days in jail
- Singer Jenni Rivera missing plane found, no survivors
- How a player became a pawn: Kim Kardashian’s TV reality in Bahrain’s reality
- Larry Hagman’s death: Co-star at his death bed, ‘You die the way you live’
- The power, legacy of Steven Spielberg’s dyslexia in 60 Minutes: ‘I own my fear'
- George Lucas' near-death experience: One moment in heaven, a lifetime on earth
- George Lucas’ near-death experience: George Lucas’ and Disney’s win-win deal
- The nature of dyslexia: Tom Cruise, Anthony Hopkins, Keira Knightley, Joe Wright
- Anna Karenina, Keira Knightley’s dyslexia: How Keira’s parents got her to read
- Dyslexia comes to life in ‘Anna Karenina’: Keira Knightley, Joe Wright
- Behind-the-scenes Tom Cruise: Did Suri Cruise inherit Tom Cruise’s dyslexia?
- Behind-the-scenes: 4 things Carrie Underwood shares with Maria, ‘Sound of Music’
- Behind-the-scenes Michael Phelps: Why Michael Phelps dumped Megan Rossee
- Justin Bieber sends ‘thoughts and prayers’ and Interstate 405 is a death trap
- Manti Te’o hoax, Lance Armstrong: 'I didn't feel, I didn't think, I didn't feel’
- Family plans to jump off bridge, goes to 2013 Oscars instead
- The 10 most-viewed ‘celebrity homes’ in 2012 (Photos)
- Kate Middleton’s hospitalization continues and taken seriously
- Kate Middleton pregnancy update: Prince William smiling
- James Middleton, Kate’s brother, owns his dyslexia: ‘I wouldn’t change a thing’
- Princess Diana: Her childhood, legacy, love for Prince Harry, William, the world
- Prince Harry’s classy mother: 'My God, what’s happened?'