Broccoli rabe is a vegetable that holds a special place in the hearts of many Italian Americans. It finds its way into soups, pasta dishes, and sandwiches (roast pork with sharp provolone and rabe, anyone?). Here, Vic Rallo presents a simple side dish that will go well with your favorite protein of choice.
Tip: Don't confuse broccolini with broccoli rabe. Although they are similar in appearance, they are actually two different vegetables. Broccolini is a cross between regular broccoli and Chinese gai lan, while broccoli rabe is actually related to the turnip plant.
15 inspiring recipes for cooking with winter produce
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Large pinch of red chile pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and fill a large bowl with ice water.
3. Boil the broccoli rabe for 2 minutes. Transfer to the ice water and drain.
4. In a large bowl, combine the broccoli rabe, garlic, red chile pepper flakes, if using, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix well.
5. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes.