Spring is the best time to enjoy fresh artichokes, and this Italian recipe is a fantastic way to prepare them. Serve these stuffed artichokes alongside some grilled fish or a farro salad for a delicious lunch or dinner.
- 10 oz extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ c chopped garlic
- ½ c finely chopped onion
- 1 pc day-old focaccia or Italian bread, ground in food processor
- 2 oz flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 8 oz Pecorino Romano, grated, plus more for serving
- 8 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 t sea salt
- 4 extra-large artichokes, trimmed and cleaned
1. In a small sauté pan, heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion, and sauté until the garlic is light brown, and the onion is translucent.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, onion, Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and 6 oz olive oil.
3. Fill an 8-qt saucepan halfway with water, and add the sea salt.
4. Spread the artichoke leaves open, and push the bread mixture into each artichoke; stuff each artichoke to the top.
5. Place the artichokes in the saucepan; they need to fit snugly but not too tightly.
6. Cook over medium heat for about 45 minutes. Pull on the artichoke leaves to check if they are done. If the leaves fall off easily, the artichokes are cooked .
7. Serve each artichoke in a bowl. Spoon some of broth left in the pot over each artichoke. Finish with olive oil and grated pecorino and Parmigiano cheeses.