Sergeant Major Earl Marshall lead a color guard to the flag area for the "Presentation of Colors".
Reverend David Forry gave the invocation and benediction. The Cathedral was created as a memorial to all the men and women who sacrificed their lives in World War II. The inspiration for the Cathedral is described on the website as follows:
Sibyl and Douglas Sloane III founded the Cathedral of the Pines in 1945 as a memorial to those men and women, including their son Sandy, who had sacrificed their lives in World War II. They envisioned that their cathedral without walls would welcome people of every faith in a spirit of unity and mutual respect. It was their hope that interfaith understanding would help bring world peace. In the 21st century the Cathedral seeks to honor and extend that original vision through its activities and events.
At 11 AM, the flag was raised and the bells tolled 11 times. The folding of the Flag was performed by members of the Rindge Veterans Association, as Helen Mae Olson described the meaning of each fold.
Taps was played by David Pipitone and Joseph Pipitone.