This chili recipe can be started in a crock pot or on the stove, just dump all the ingredients in the pot, get it to a boil and then place it on simmer or you can follow the cooking directions below, as you prepare other foods for the Super Bowl or family dinner – it’s great any time of the year. If you add hot chilies or chili powder it will warm you up during those cold days too.
It may seem like a lot of ingredients but it's cans you open and dump in, easy to make and if it lasts tastes even better the next day, so if you want you can make this tonight for game day. This recipe was adapted from several recipes at Allrecipes website, the main difference is using premade black bean burgers. This recipe is also delicious as a chip dip for the big game.
- ½ sweet onion chopped or diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced finely
- 1 small diced green bell pepper
- 1 can or 8 oz fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 small peeled and diced potatoes
- Microwave 4 fronzen black bean burgers – nuke 3 minutes -Morning Star Chipolte Black bean burger ¼ lb each patty, add to sauce. Or just add to pot it will defrost.
- 2 cans stew tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce or ½ small can tomato paste and water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp or more paprika
- 1 can corn (optional)
- Sauté onions until translucent
- Add garlic, bell pepper and potatoes – sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cook 40 minutes until the tomatoes are falling apart.
Serve with crackers, on rice, with garlic bread or in a bread bowl, can also be used as a chip dip.
Check out more quick and easy recipes at the links below when watching your favorite game, including Chinese Crispy Gau Gee, make your own chips and salsa.
Be sure to check out Monica’s other columns:
©mLehua. All Rights Reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article.
Got something to say? Say it on Examiner by following this link to sign up.