puff pastry (store bought or homemade)
4 small to medium sized red skin potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 head of broccoli, chopped small
1/2 medium to large yellow onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1.5-2 cups kale
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup finely chopped chives
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon white or rice vinegar
1 large egg yolk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Add a tablespoon olive oil to small skillet, add chopped garlic and kale, cook until wilted.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a heavy, large skillet, Dutch oven or saucepan
- When butter foams, add potatoes, carrots, onion and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables, stir to coat and cook until raw flavor is gone and potatoes are soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Add cheese. stir until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened about 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and add chives, vinegar, herbs and kale
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired
- Pour into a in an 8 X 8 baking dish or round/oblong ceramic casserole dish
- Whisk egg with 2 teaspoons of water and a pinch of salt until evenly mixed
- Fit dough over baking dish, tuck into edges of dish. Brush dough with egg wash and cut slits in top to vent.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbling, about 25-30 minutes.