Finding a good vegetable barley soup recipe for winter turned out to be easier than I thought it would be.
I searched the old cookbooks that my cousins used for the family restaurants, and low and behold, there were a ton of healthy vegetable soup recipes.
Subscribe to my column to get regular updates about recipes as well as food-related essays and quotes. I never give your information away.
About the Vegetable Barley Soup Recipe
This one is just delish, because it brings together some hearty barley and vegetable broth. You add some bulk to the soup by slicing up some cabbage, zucchini and carrots. And this easy vegetable soup recipe gets its spicy kick from Italian seasoning as well as salt, pepper and of course, my favorite, garlic!
- 2 Tbsp oil, olive
- 1 diced onion
- 2 cloves (minced) garlic
- 8-9 c. vegetable broth or water
- 3/4 c. uncooked barley
- 2 diced carrots
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 c. sliced cabbage
- 1 sliced zucchini
- 1 24-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt, pepper
- Saute the onions, garlic and the oil in a large soup pot for up to five minutes. Do this until the garlic and onions become soft.
- Add in the veggie broth as well as the other ingredients.
- Let the ingredients for the vegetable barley soup recipe simmer. It should take about 30 minutes for the barley to become soft.
- Season the soup as you desire.
- You'll have a stronger salt and pepper taste if you add half of the seasonings during the cooking phase and the other half just before you serve the soup.
- Serve the soup with hot garlic bread or a salad.
- Watch the video attached to this article to learn how to make garlic bread.