Choosing a vegetable for dinner can be simple and other times seem like the same ones are chosen over and over without much thought. It doesn’t take ant work at all to put together a wonderfully tasting vegetable dish to serve with dinner that will attract attention and bring new life to a favorite veggie.
If you like Au Gratin potatoes you will also like eating these vegetables. The principle is basically the same but with a different vegetable texture and variety. You will have your side dish prepared in a snap. So try a new way to serve those plain old green beans. Everyone is entitled to a little flare every now and then. Just think what your taste buds will be telling you.
- 2 ½ cups of cooked string beans (save water from cooking)
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of grated Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup of the liquid from the beans
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Few shakes of paprika
- Preheat oven to 350’.
- Cook string beans in sauce with some water. (Save bean juice in a glass for later in the recipe)
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Place cooked string beans in bottom of dish.
- Continue using the same sauce pan that had the beans in it.
- Melt butter and add flour and seasonings.
- Add milk slowly to sauce pan, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened.
- Once the mixture is thickened add the bean liquid (1/2 cup) and the shredded or grated cheddar cheese.
- Stir well.
- Pour mixture over beans and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in oven for about 45 minutes making sure the casserole dish is covered.
- Different cheeses can be substituted for Cheddar cheese.
For picky eaters and to cover up the green try:
- Top it off with some French's fried onions for a little added zip.
- You can also try using Chinese noodles over the vegetable dish too.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: