A Las Vegas casino got evacuated early Tuesday morning (Feb. 5). Excalibur guests got evacuated and were certainly put through quite the scare when a smoke smell started spreading through the building. According to a report on Tuesday, though, it turned out that it was just an overheated ventilation motor that had caused the problem.
Since there was no fire in the hotel or casino, there was no real cause for alarm in the end. Still, anyone who has been woken up in the middle of the night by a hotel alarm has the right to be a little disturbed by what is going on. It also took two full hours before the guests were allowed to go back inside the 28-floor structure. That's a long time for guests to be outside (between the hours of 2 am and 4 am) so there may have been some "comping" going on here.
In situations like these, it is often the case that a hotel will refund the cost of the hotel room. It has not been revealed that the Excalibur will be doing that, but with how prevalent this story is going to be in the news, it would serve a public relations goal by making the customers happy. The good news here is that there was no fire and that the machines were already fixed by the time the afternoon hours rolled around.
Anytime a Vegas casino is evacuated it makes news, especially with some of the fires that have marred the city in its past. Luckily there was no fire this time.