A vegan twist on the infamous French onion soup.
French onion soup
- 1/4 dairy butter
- 3 medium white or yellow onions; thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves; thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cane sugar dash of pepper
- purpose flour
- t have palm oil or that the palm oil is sustainable sourced)
- 1 tbsp vegan Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 baguette vegan mozzarella; thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 450F.
Melt the butter in a pot.
Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 25 minute or until soft and caramelized, stirring often. About 15 minutes in, add the garlic, sugar and pepper.
Once the onions are finished, stir in the flour until well blended.
Stir in the vegetable stock, Worcestershire sauce and thyme.
Bring the soup to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Cut four 1” slices of baguette and toast until lightly brown.
Ladle soup into bowl(s) and place one toasted baguette on top of each; cover with mozzarella.
Bake for 10 minutes (or when cheese has begun to melt).
*Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia C. Simpson