Virginia Commonwealth University enters conference play on January 9, 2014 with a home game against George Mason University. Their success early on in the 2013-14 season had a high-water mark in November when VCU reached an all-time high for the Rams when the Associated Press basketball poll placed them at a lofty number 10. They're unranked now--surprisingly--even though they're 12-3 and just completed back-to-back double-digit-point wins over ACC teams. They're 3-1 against ACC teams this year, but they went 1-2 when the lights were shining on them in Puerto Rico in November where they lost by 17 points to Florida State in their opening game of that three-game tournament.
They, however, beat Virginia, Virginia Tech and Boston College this year so it's not all bad. 3-1 against the Atlantic Coast Conference is more than most teams can brag about.
The Atlantic 10 Conference has challenges for VCU: Saint Louis University will be tough competition; they went deeper into March Madness than VCU did last year. U Mass is currently ranked in the top 25 of the AP poll. Dayton can beat anyone in the A-10 in the Dayton Arena which is a big, noisy venue. Noise makes a difference sometimes.
Butler University, Temple University and UNC-Charlotte left the conference after last season so that tough competition is gone. Butler was at the top of the A-10 when they were there. George Mason is new to the A-10 this year: they just left the Colonial Athletic Association where VCU also once was a member.
VCU has 16 games left on their regular season schedule this year: they're all conference games. They have four home-and-home match ups in this conference schedule. They are against the University of Richmond, Saint Louis University, Fordham University and George Washington University.
There's a post season tournament in the A-10 at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn and, of course, there's March Madness following that.
VCU 2013-14 A-10 Conference schedule
- January 9, 2014 George Mason University @ VCU
- January 14, 2014 VCU @ George Washington University
- January 18, 2014 Duquesne University @ VCU
- January 22, 2014 VCU @ University of Dayton
- January 25, 2014 VCU @ LaSalle University
- January 29, 2014 Fordham University @ VCU
- February 1, 2014 University of Richmond @ VCU
- February 6, 2014 University of Rhode Island @ VCU
- February 8, 2014 VCU @ St Joseph's University
- February 12, 2014 Gorge Washington University @ VCU
- February 15, 2014 VCU @ Saint Louis University
- February 21, 2014 VCU @ University of Massachusetts
- February 27, 2014 VCU @ Fordam University
- March 1, 2014 Saint Louis University @ VCU
- March 6, 2014 VCU @ University of Richmond
- March 8, 2014 Saint Bonaventure University @ VCU