Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Vancouver continue good start beating Dynamo

Kenny Miller looks to shoot
Photo by Jeff Vinnick/Getty Images

Houston Dynamo showed little of the form that started their season on Saturday night, as they fell to a 2-1 defeat to Vancouver Whitecaps at BC Place.

Vancouver started the stronger side and had their first chance of the match in the 12th minute when Kenny Miller sent in a cross for Darren Mattocks to run on to but he could only send his effort over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, Vancouver had their opener as Andy O’Brien sent a header across the face of goal, in to the path of defender Jordan Harvey, allowing him to just tap the ball home.

Houston almost responded instantly with Kofi Sarkodie crossing in for Giles Barnes who was able to jump high enough and get a header away that went just wide.

Houston were starting to take charge of the match but struggling to break down a tight Vancouver defense, that left the Dynamo with little chances, as the week off seemed to hurt Houston’s continuity.

Both sides looked to find the second goal of the match through the final stages of the first half, but both failed to do so, keeping the match 1-0 at the break.

Houston came out from the break the brighter side and nearly manufactured an equalizer in the 49th minute as Barnes backheeled for Brad Davis, who forced a great save out of David Ousted.

The second goal would come, but it would be Vancouver who would score it doubling their lead, the goal coming from the spot after Mattocks got around Sarkodie, who handled the ball in the process.

That allowed Kenny Miller to step up and take the spot kick, which he scored, only for Kevin Stott, to order a retake due to encroachment, that didn’t deny the Rangers legend who buried the second attempt as well, doubling the lead.

Forced to push to try and get back in to the match Houston found a goal in the 75th minute as Brad Davis hit a set-piece for Ricardo Clark, who perfectly positioned his header past the outstretched arm of Ousted.

Houston were going for the match late on, but it was Vancouver who had the one remaining chance of the match as he hit a curling strike in stoppage time that missed the target, but it didn’t matter as they defeated Houston 2-1.

For all the latest San Antonio (and Texas) Soccer news please subscribe and follow the writer on twitter.

Report this ad