Intro: Looking for Valentine's Day dinner menu ideas? These fried wontons with cream cheese and sausage are so yummy, you just may want to not make them your V-Day appetizers, but rather your whole Valentine's dinner.
Need More Great Valentine's Day Ideas for Dinner and Gifts?
- How to make chicken Parmesan for Valentine's Day + how to pick a wine for dinner
- Valentines day dinner ideas: 5 Romantic recipes for pasta, lamb, prime rib
- How to make cookie pops: Heart-shaped cookie designs for Valentine bouquets
- Homemade Valentines cards: Make DIY pop up cards (easy craft for kids)
- Valentines day gift ideas for her: Chocolate heart tin, homemade V-Day gifts
All Valentine's Dinners Should Have an Appetizer With Cream Cheese!
I learned to love wonton appetizers with cream cheese when I worked at Yen Ching in Boise. We served crab rangoon, which are fried wontons with cream cheese and crab in them.
Recipes with cream cheese just appeal to me, and these fried wontons are great idea as a Valentine's Day appetizer for your V-Day dinner.
My suggestion for a fried meat wonton is to substitute the crab with ground sausage. Either way, it's a delicious addition to your Valentine's dinner menu ideas.
Recipe for Fried Wontons With Cream Cheese and Sausage:
- 1 lb ground pork or beef sausage
- 1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
- 4 diced green onions
- 1 c. coleslaw cabbage (can used the bagged kind)
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 60 wonton wrappers
- Veggie oil
- Sweet and sour sauce
- Brown the sausage and the cup of coleslaw cabbage in a large skillet. You want the cabbage to soften and the sausage for the fried wonton recipe to brown.
- Drain the sausage mixture and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cream cheese, the cooked sausage and cabbage, the white pepper and the onions.
- Spoon the sausage mixture onto the wonton wrappers.
- Wet your fingertip with water and line the outer edges of the wonton wrappers with water, then pinch the wontons shut. (The water and the dough act like glue.)
- Add oil to your Dutch oven -- up to two inches to make the recipe for fried wontons with cream cheese.
- Drop the wontons into the oil, allowing them to cook until the wrappers become golden brown.
- Take the fried meat wontons from the oil with a wire strainer.
- Drain them on paper towels.
- Serve a side of sweet and sour sauce with the fried wontons with cream cheese and sausage. They taste best if you serve them immediately.