Valentine’s Day is more than flowers, chocolates, jewelry, candy hearts, perfume, Hallmark, and dining out. The music designed for the annual occasion makes Valentine’s Day even better. Besides, flowers wilt, chocolates get eaten, jewelry attracts thieves, candy hearts are tacky, Hallmark can be tackier than candy hearts, a perfume’s scent is delightful to one person but sewage to another, and dining out is hit-or-miss depending on the server and food. But with the music, you know what you’re getting because it’s been tried and true.
Songwriters and singers knew that would be the case a long time ago, and they’ve worked long and hard to spill their emotions on their recordings through time to bring the world the best love songs they could give us.
Following are 20 of the greatest love songs recorded through recent decades. Of course, they’re good to listen to anytime – not just on Valentine’s Day.
Top 20 Love Songs
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face – Roberta Flack
- Something – The Beatles
- Unchained Melody – The Righteous Brothers
- Just the Way You Are – Billy Joel
- Love Me Tender – Elvis Presley
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Diana Ross
- (Everything I Do) I Do It for You – Bryan Adams
- Endless Love – Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
- Let’s Get It On – Marvin Gaye
- Lovin You – Minnie Riperton
- You’re the First, My Last, My Everything – Barry White
- Up Where We Belong – Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes
- The Best – Tina Turner
- Love Will Keep Us Together – Captain and Tennille
- Can’t Help Falling in Love – UB40
- I Can’t Stop Loving You – Ray Charles
- You’re All I Need to Get By – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
- When a Man Loves a Woman – Percy Sledge
- Roses Are Red – Bobby Vinton
- Because I Love You – Stevie B
For Valentine's Day and beyond...