Christmas and New Year's have passed, it's cold outside, and us ladies are already warming themselves with the fuzzy thoughts of Valentine's Day. Hoping that your significant others will take the time to plan the perfect evening of romance and love, you take to the racks to find the perfect dress, shoes and accessories to make us especially desirable. And to prevent any embarrassing fashion and manners faux pas's that men commit on most every special occasion, they too are included in this guide of romance.
Alright men, it's time to take your ladies (or partner) out. They're going to go the extra mile in primping and style to get your undivided attention, so you need to do the same. Sure you planned the evening right down to the last rose petal, but that doesn't mean you can look like a half-baked version of a Banana Republic model. You're a detail too! Follow these simple rules and your night will be effortlessly seamless.
- Call ahead to the restaurant and ask what the dress code is. Not only can you tell your lady so she has shopping guidelines, but you too will have guidelines when you shop.
- Applebees, Perkins and fast food restaurants are inappropriate choices. Now only will she be upset you took her to a place you're frequent diners, but she'll also think you forgot or just don't care about her enough to plan something nice. Choose your eatery wisely and she'll know she chose wisely with you.
- Typical attire is dress pants, dress shoes, and dress shirt. Make sure your pants and shirt are freshly dry cleaned and pressed. The smell of corporate sweat isn't sexy. Since men are generally style impaired, solid black dress pants, a crisp white shirt and an elegantly sexy tie are the easiest way to go. Wear a black belt, black socks, and black dress shoes (clean and polished). She will be impressed and reading this article will be your stylish little secret.
- Get your pants tailored. I can't tell you how many ill-fitting and excessively long pants that I see walking down the streets of Minneapolis. Just because you watch Droopy Dog on Saturday morning, it doesn't mean your pants should look like his face. The bottom of the dress pant should not drag on the sidewalk. Rather it should fall on the shoe seam that separates the top of the shoe from the sole. And the seat and inseam of the pant should fit properly to your legs, waist, and butt. Your tailor will ensure they are cut and fitted properly.
- Last but not least, be chivalrous. Open doors for her, say please and thank you, don't put your elbows on the table or eat with your hands unless it's a finger food course and tell her she looks beautiful. And remember, DON'T forget the flowers!
Unlike the the men, ladies have it figured out thanks to Hollywood and Audrey Hepburn. You relish at the prospect of getting dressed up and putting on your favorite Manolo's or Louboutin's. Getting your hair and make-up done and putting on those perfectly chosen accessories. So here's a few style rules that will keep you and your evening classy.
- Keep the hemline of your dress no more than two inches above your knee. A general rule is that your dress will move up two inches when you sit down. Anything more than two inches above your knee standing and you risk having a trashy Britney moment.
- Choose a dress shape that's flattering to your body. Check out my article on the Little Black Dress to find your perfect dress fit and style. There's also plenty of dresses that will help you knock him dead on Valentine's Day.
- Shave your legs and do wear nylons. It's cold in Minneapolis and white legs full of goosebumps and hair are very unbecoming.
- Wear shoes you can comfortably walk in. And DON'T wear hooker shoes aka anything clear or with a huge chunky platform. There's nothing sexier than a classic pump or peep toe. Use that good style judgement.
- Don't overload on accessories. A simple clutch, ring, bracelet, earrings and necklace will do the job. Keep in classic. If you want to make a statement, coordinate your clutch and shoes.
- Wear a dress coat or coat cape. Parkas and ski coats are unacceptable. Click here for 13 coats that will keep your warm and stylish.
- Finally, smile and enjoy a night alone with your man. Recognize that he went out of his way to make your evening special, so thank him and treat him as such.
Following these simple rules will guarantee an evening you'll never forget. Cheers to your evening and I wish you all love, romance, and a night free of food poisoning.