Pressed butter cookies, also known as spritz cookies, have wonderful rich buttery flavor and a light texture. Making them with a cookie press allows you to make them in a number of different shapes that can be decorated for any holiday or occasion. For Valentine’s Day, use a heart template to make sweet heart-shaped cookies for your loved ones. Chopped maraschino cherries and red sugar crystals add the perfect touch for the holiday.
- 1-1/4 cups salted butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3-1/4 cups flour
- Small jar of maraschino cherries, drained and cut into halves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mixing to combine.
- Gradually add flour, mixing just until combined.
- Spoon into cookie press fit with a heart disc. Squeeze cookie press to release dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Decorate cookies with cherries and/or sprinkles.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until just slightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring from the baking sheet to wire cooling racks.
- Cool cookies completely before storing in an air-tight container.
- Makes approximately 6 dozen cookies.
Like this recipe? Make sure you don't miss others like it. Subscribe to get instant updates, and you'll receive an e-mail every time I post a new article. Click the “subscribe” button in my bio section. You can also follow me on Facebook for more on food, recipes and restaurants in Philadelphia and Bucks County, PA. Like me at http://www.facebook.com/BucksCountyFoodRestaurantExaminer and follow me on Twitter @BucksCntyFoodEx. Visit my Valentine’s Day photo album for easy viewing of recipes I’ve published that are perfect for the holiday.
To see all of the recipes I’ve shared and other food-related articles, visit my Bucks County Food Page. If you’d like to read my articles focused on Bucks County restaurants, you can also subscribe to my Bucks County Restaurant page.
Want to share with a friend? Click the buttons at the top of this article to share on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. You can also e-mail a friend.