The pink hue of these Cherry Kiss cookies make them perfect for Valentine’s Day baking. A butter cookie batter with chopped cherries and almond extract creates a uniquely flavored cookie that is sweet without being overly so. A Hershey’s Kiss on top adds to the flavor, making a treat that is reminiscent of a chocolate covered cherry, another Valentine’s Day favorite.
Make these for someone you love this holiday. Even better, make them with someone you love! Kids especially will get a kick out of the color of these cookies. Since technical skill is minimal with this easy recipe, it’s great for letting little ones get in on the action. Measuring, stirring and unwrapping Hershey’s Kisses are all steps that they’ll enjoy.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 25-30 Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped (Special Dark used here)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar. Add cherry juice, almond extract, food coloring and salt and beat well. Gradually add flour until well incorporated. Fold in cherries.
- Place tablespoon-sized balls (a small cookie scoop is great for this) on an ungreased cookie sheet. Leave about 1-½” between cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until just slightly firm to the touch. If you haven’t already, unwrap Hershey’s Kisses while cookies are in the oven.
- Remove trays from oven and immediately top cookies with Hershey’s Kisses, pressing down gently. Cookies will crack slightly, press just hard enough that they bein to crack.
- Cool completely on trays. Then, store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Makes 25-30 cookies.
Like this recipe? Make sure you don't miss others like it. Subscribe to get instant updates, and you'll receive an e-mail every time I post a new article. Click the “subscribe” button in my bio section. You can also follow me on Facebook for more on food, recipes and restaurants in Philadelphia and Bucks County, PA. Click here to view my Cookies, Candy & Other Desserts photo album on Facebook. Like me at www.facebook.com/BucksCountyFoodRestaurantExaminer and follow me on Twitter @BucksCntyFoodEx.
To see all of the recipes I’ve shared and other food-related articles, visit my Bucks County Food Page. If you'd like more recipes for Valentine's Day, take a look at my Pineapple Angel Food Cake Cupcakes or White Wine Sangria. To read my articles focused on Bucks County restaurants, you can also subscribe to my Bucks County Restaurant page.
Want to share with a friend? Click the buttons at the top of this article to share on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. You can also e-mail a friend.