In a perfect world, Valentine’s Day would include a day off from work to allow time to prepare for the big night. Unfortunately, this examiner will spend her day chained to her desk writing stories or running from appointment to appointment. Which is why, when hair guru Mark Hill offered to give us tips for a perfect day to night look we jumped at the chance. According to Hill, “a side swept chignon is always a winner when you want to look effortlessly glamorous. It is relatively easy to style your hair like this, and is great if you are short on time or going out to a party straight from work.”
- Preparation is key to getting this look right. Use Mark Hill Big Night Out! Shampoo and Conditioner to get your hair ready to style. Next, apply Mark Hill Love Big Hair Viva La Volume Volumizing Blow Dry Mousse throughout towel-dried hair. Section off your hair into manageable pieces. Using a round brush, point the hair dryer down against each section to dry. Spend a lot of time drying the crown of the head as this will give the final style volume and height.
- When all of your hair is dry, put some large Velcro rollers in the crown area to hold. Leave for a few minutes and then comb through with your fingers. If this is going to be your “day” look, try not to touch or tousle until you are ready to put in the chignon.
- When you are ready to style, use your fingers, never a brush or comb, and create a soft parting one side. Gather your hair back into a loose ponytail just behind one ear. Secure with a covered band.
- Split the ponytail in half. Twist one half around until it loops back on itself, and secure it with hairpins or grips – one or two should be enough. With the other half of the ponytail, take smaller sections and coil them around the chignon to cover the hairband and to add texture and movement – use fine pins and grips to hold in place. Don’t worry about keeping it too neat - allowing short layers and loose ends to stick out of the chignon to keeps the overall feel soft and feminine. If you prefer, you can leave some tendrils to frame your face.
- Finish the look with a quick spritz of Mark Hill Gorgeous! Fabulous Finish Hairspray to hold your hair in place through dinner, and drinks, and…