This year, ladies, treat your special Valentine to a little something extra special that's as hot and spicy as you are. This Dark Chocolate Chili Martini is the perfect apéritif to begin a romantic evening or a great excuse to invite him back to your place after that lovely Valentine's dinner at your favorite little restaurant. This cocktail is a treat for the senses and will definitely spice up the Valentine's Day passion.
To make two Dark Chocolate Chili Martinis:
1 good quality 3 - 4 ounce dark chocolate bar, such as Lindt
2 ounces Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur
2 ounces Absolut Peppar vodka
1 - 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry liquid
1 fresh strawberry for garnish, optional
- Using a cheese grater, grate the dark chocolate bar and spread on a small shallow plate.
- Using your finger (clean, of course) run a little of the maraschino cherry liqueur around the rim of two chilled martini glasses. Dip the rims into the grated chocolate to rim the glasses just as you would salt for a margarita. Set aside.
- Add the dark chocolate liqueur, pepper vodka, and maraschino cherry liquid to a cocktail shaker. Add the amount of maraschino cherry liquid to taste by starting with less and adding more if you desire a sweeter drink.
- Add five or six ice cubes to the shaker, put the lid on tightly and shake vigorously for a count of 15.
- Strain into the prepared martini glasses. If desired, thinly slice a fresh strawberry and perch a slice on the rim of each glass before serving. This cocktail is best enjoyed while icy cold.
For an at-home romantic Valentine's Day dinner for two, start with the Dark Chocolate Chili Martini above, then serve Hearts of Palm Salad with Champagne Dressing. For the entrée, try this Steak Diane, Baked Sweet Potatoes with Maple Jalapeño Cream and Lemon-scented Asparagus. And, of course, the ultimate romantic dessert for two is always going to be a chocolate fondue so whip up this Chocolate Hazelnut Fondue for you and your sweetie. Delightful!
Wine suggestions for this romantic meal would be a pinot noir such as Belle Glos Pinot Noir Meiomi '11 or a cabernet such as 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon '10. Both of these wines are available at local BevMo and are great wines for a great price!
Or for a very simple but deliciously spicy Valentine's dinner for two, try this hot and spicy Salt & Pepper Shrimp served with a Cool Cucumber Salad. A great wine to serve with this meal is Settecieli Pinot Grigio '10, also available at BevMo.
Other seductive Valentine's Day desserts:
- Chocolate Raspberry Makin' Whoopie Pies
- Dark Chocolate Blackberry Fondue for Two
- Chocolate Covered Grapes
- Chocolate Cherry Trifle
Happy Valentine's Day!
Like this article? Get a spam-free e-mail notice every time I post a new one by clicking on the Subscribe button above. Be sure to check out the San Jose Easy Meals Examiner for great recipes, weekly meals plans with corresponding grocery lists and easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions designed to help people with little or no cooking experience. Also, check out the Sustainable Seafood Examiner (me!) for articles on the seafood industry and recipes focusing on fresh, sustainable seafood.