The letter “X” stands for kisses and the letter “O” represents hugs. Hence XOXOXO is a common declaration in many Valentine’s Day cards. The letters can also make nice Valentine’s Day decorations that can be shown off in one’s house or given as a Valentine’s Day gift to someone special. Best of all, they are easy to make yourself for a cost effective and customizable project. It’s also a perfect way to add art into the curriculum for homeschooled children.
• Wood letters, at least two X and two O (available at most craft stores)
• Scrapbooking paper (Valentine’s-Day-themed if possible)
• Modge Podge
• A brush (sponge tip ones are fine)
• Paint (optional, used if you want to paint the wood frame before adding the paper)
1. Put the wood letter on a flat surface with the front part facing up.
2. Place scrapbooking paper on top of the wood letter.
3. Trace where you need to cut the paper so that it encases the letters.
4. Cut out the properly traced paper.
5. Spread some modge podge on the wood letter with your brush.
6. Put the paper on top of the modge podged letter and press it down until the paper adheres to the wood.
7. Let the letter dry for about an hour then add another layer of modge podge over the paper (and make sure to cover the edges so the paper won’t peel).
8. Let the letters dry completely (about 2-3 hours to be sure).
9. When all four letters are done glue them together, slightly overlapping at the sides, so that they are linked in an XOXO fashion.
10. Allow the decoration to dry.
11. Display the decoration or give it to your Valentine!
To see the tutorial click here (it’s the second half of the video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XiM89k277I